8n funk 6 starter issue

potato

New User
Tractor would not turn over today. I went through my troubleshooting steps and ended up pulling the starter. I was surprised to find the cast-iron extension was broken inside the housing. Any idea where to find a new one? Stupid question I know but... Can I reinstall it with out that piece? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • 20240421_161853.jpg
    20240421_161853.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 113
  • 20240421_161856.jpg
    20240421_161856.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 103
You can't use it the way it is. You need a new nose cone. A starter repair shop can get you one. Do you know what engine is in it. A auto parts store (a good one) can get a starter for it.
 
You may want to take the pieces to a good welder. I believe the Funk nose piece is very unique as it was cast by Funk ( I could be wrong). Maybe someone will have a used one but I'm sure a good welder could fix it.
 
You may want to take the pieces to a good welder. I believe the Funk nose piece is very unique as it was cast by Funk ( I could be wrong). Maybe someone will have a used one but I'm sure a good welder could fix it.
Do you know anything special I need to pay attention to before having it welded? Clearance specks it needs to meet or anything like that?
 
No, the support of the drive end is critical to operation and using it could destroy any usable parts and possibly the flywheel ring gear.
Is there anything else missing from it? I didn't see anything else in the housing. Just want to make sure a set of spines aren't missing or any other part before I get it fixed and slide it back in. Looks to me like the shaft is just short of the hole. Was there anything after the cone that made it spin?
 
Tractor would not turn over today. I went through my troubleshooting steps and ended up pulling the starter. I was surprised to find the cast-iron extension was broken inside the housing. Any idea where to find a new one? Stupid question I know but... Can I reinstall it with out that piece? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Be SURE to check every tooth of the flywheel ring gear for damage and verify that the centrifugal advance in the distributor is not stuck and working properly, either if which MAY have contributed to the "drive end" breaking.
 
Be SURE to check every tooth of the flywheel ring gear for damage and verify that the centrifugal advance in the distributor is not stuck and working properly, either if which MAY have contributed to the "drive end" breaking.
Thank you, will do.... after I look up how to do that. Lol
 
if you can get the piece tacked back together, i think i'd take the piece to a machine shop and possibility have one built. save the old one for a pattern. being cast by funk, i'd imagine a replacement. may be hard to source. good luck
 
if you can get the piece tacked back together, i think i'd take the piece to a machine shop and possibility have one built. save the old one for a pattern. being cast by funk, i'd imagine a replacement. may be hard to source. good luck
Good idea, that you
 
if you can get the piece tacked back together, i think i'd take the piece to a machine shop and possibility have one built. save the old one for a pattern. being cast by funk, i'd imagine a replacement. may be hard to source. good luck
First, as others have said, make sure there isn't a problem that caused it to break. I don't think that starter had anything to do with Funk. It came w/the Ford six it is attached to. Funk only made what was necessary to put that six into an 8n. I would find a starter for whatever engine you have if a starter shop can't replace the cone. My Funk w/95hp industrial six (also my profile pic).
IMG_0961.JPG
 
First, as others have said, make sure there isn't a problem that caused it to break. I don't think that starter had anything to do with Funk. It came w/the Ford six it is attached to. Funk only made what was necessary to put that six into an 8n. I would find a starter for whatever engine you have if a starter shop can't replace the cone. My Funk w/95hp industrial six (also my profile pic).View attachment 68072
Thanks for the info. Great looking 8n. Wish mine was that clean.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top