duckrock

Stopped by a place to look at some old iron today. Found an 8N Funk. Owner is 93 and claims he has driven it around the property. Judging by the condition of the tires and rear rim it could have been 20 years since he drove it around the yard. It also has a Sherman trans.
Besides the extended tin, is there anything else to look for to determine if it is a real funk or someone's homemade project? No idea if it still turns over. What would a fair offer be?

The recent/current issue of 'The N-NEWS', Volume 37,Number 4, Autumn Issue 2022, has a good article written by reknown FORD Tractor authoritarian Robert Pripps on the FUNK BROS and the entire story. There is also most all info on FORDs, including FUNKS, in the archives too if'N ya wanna search there.

Tim Daley(MI)

(quoted from post at 18:45:31 10/20/22) Stopped by a place to look at some old iron today. Found an 8N Funk. Owner is 93 and claims he has driven it around the property. Judging by the condition of the tires and rear rim it could have been 20 years since he drove it around the yard. It also has a Sherman trans.
Besides the extended tin, is there anything else to look for to determine if it is a real funk or someone's homemade project? No idea if it still turns over. What would a fair offer be?
t will have FUNK cast into the adapter bell. If it is a 226 it will have 7H cast into the block or 8M if it is the 254. If it is an overhead valve 215 you have a rare find. I've seen a couple of I-Beam Funks that didn't have a governor and used the oil pan from the engine donor. The cast iron oil pan version (including mine) I've seen had the belt driven governor. I've only seen 4 others in person but the photos you'll find online seem to have that same trend.

EDIT: There we're V8 Funk conversions also, never seen one in person.

This post was edited by 8NChris on 10/22/2022 at 06:53 pm.

If it has a cast iron engine oil pan, it is guaranteed to be a Funk conversion. Other flathead six versions used a channel iron frame from the transmission to the front axle with a steel pan. All versions also would have a cast iron engine to transmission adapter with FUNK cast into it, another guarantee. No aftermarket kits I've seen use cast iron adapter parts. Make sure the starter is present (custom nose piece) and the belt-driven governor (all had them originally). Early kits had a sheet metal adapter between the hood and dash while later used a cast aluminum adapter. There also is a thin hat on top of the carburetor that the air cleaner connects to.

As for price, that can vary widely. A not running rough tractor could be $500 to a $1000. Average if in decent shape unrestored and all the right parts are there I would say $1000 to $2500. The overdrive adds a little value and an over/underdrive a little more yet. Tire condition makes a big difference due to their cost today, as you could easily spend $1000 on new tires and rims. But then again I've heard some people say they wouldn't cross the street to even look at one much less buy one.

Thanks. This one has a frame from trans to front axle support. The belt driven governor was there. I'd have to take another look at the starter it looked funny to me. But, it could be that the nose piece was missing. The dash extension was sheet metal.
cvphoto138917.jpg

cvphoto138918.jpg

cvphoto138919.jpg

cvphoto138920.jpg

cvphoto138921.jpg

cvphoto138922.jpg

Looking at your photos it looks to me to be a homemade version of a Funk. The hood extension is definitely not Funk and the starter looks to be on the left side of the engine (looking from the driver's seat). The starters on the Funk flatheads are on the right side down by the oil pan. And the frame rails don't look like Funk from what I can see. Radius arms look to have been stretched while Funk used an extension plate at the rear. Does have a Sherman overdrive though. Looks to be a $500 to $1000 tractor to me. A project for sure.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back