8N hydraulic system drain plug gaskets

apfeldsd

New User
I have a 1948 Ford 8N that I'm getting ready to change the hydraulic fluid on. I'm sure the gaskets for the three drain plugs will shred when I open the drains. Does anyone have the part numbers for the gaskets for the drain plugs? (I would tell you how long it's been since the fluid was changed but it's too embarrassing.) If I'm trying too hard here just let me know what works to keep the fluid from leaking out once I screw the plugs back in. Thanks in advance for your help.

(quoted from post at 13:06:46 08/18/21) I have a 1948 Ford 8N that I'm getting ready to change the hydraulic fluid on. I'm sure the gaskets for the three drain plugs will shred when I open the drains. Does anyone have the part numbers for the gaskets for the drain plugs? (I would tell you how long it's been since the fluid was changed but it's too embarrassing.) If I'm trying too hard here just let me know what works to keep the fluid from leaking out once I screw the plugs back in. Thanks in advance for your help.

8N7011.

TOH

Re: embarrassed...
If it's been less than 20 years, you wouldn't even get a raised eyebrow....

Old tractors and lack of maintenance seem to go hand in hand... lol

There are only two that require a gasket, the third is an NPT Plug on the bottom of the diffy case. The large drain plug at the very front of tractor is your engine OIL
drain plug. Be sure to get ALL of the old gasket material off both the drain plug and the housing bottom. One or both plugs have a serrated surface that needs to be
cleaned with a wire brush thoroughly. The OEM gaskets were cork, which I prefer, but new ones today are made of rubber. Install by applying new clean oil onto the gasket
first.

Tim Daley(MI)

I forgot to add that when draining the hydraulic/trans fluid, always start at the rear diffy case NPT plug then work towards the front of tractor and only do one at a time. The NPT plug has a 9/16 square tang on it but if you have never had it off, chances are it has been on since that day it was assembled, it may be difficult to loosen. Here's my method: If your standard 9/16 open end wrench won't loosen the plug, spray some PB Blaster on the threads FWIW, then try a breaker/cheater bar and then if still no-go, with Crescent wrench. You don't want to booger up the square tang with channel locks, plier, or vice grips. When re-inserting, apply a small dab of Anti-Seize on the plug threads to make the next time go easier.

Tim Daley(MI)

I just drained the hydraulic fluid for the first time on my recently-acquired 8N, one tip to offer: it goes pretty smoothly if you siphon out the bulk of the fluid before removing the plugs. I have a fluid extractor & was able to get 4 gallons pulled out before opening plugs. I got a cheap 5 X 7' Harbor Freight tarp & put on the ground under the tractor before opening each plug & getting the rest out, & that helped with the mess. And the new gaskets for the bigger plugs worked fine, & no leaks from any of the plugs afterward. Just be careful to not overtighten.

Thank you, Smokeonthewater. It's been...(ACHOO).... years since I bought my 8N so thanks for the info and making me feel less bad about the "delayed" maintenance.

Thanks, Tim, for all the good info. When the Earth returns to its regular orbit and it's not so hot I'll get started on the hydraulic fluid change.

Well, crap. I only bought one 8N7011 gasket. Should I get another one or is there a different part number I need?

(quoted from post at 15:24:16 08/24/21) Well, crap. I only bought one 8N7011 gasket. Should I get another one or is there a different part number I need?

Same number amd this time buy 5 - that's how they are typically packaged.

TOH

Just did the transmission refill dance. I got a sheet of Felpro 3187 and cut gaskets for the two big drain plugs. It's nice material for the purpose, I got it locally the same day and a roll costs less than two gaskets+shipping. And there's plenty for the next time/other uses.

My $.02. :D

(quoted from post at 19:23:37 09/03/21) Just did the transmission refill dance. I got a sheet of Felpro 3187 and cut gaskets for the two big drain plugs. It's nice material for the purpose, I got it locally the same day and a roll costs less than two gaskets+shipping. And there's plenty for the next time/other uses.

like me, only I'm cheaper, just cut from a cereal box. :)

(quoted from post at 20:25:40 09/03/21)
(quoted from post at 19:23:37 09/03/21) Just did the transmission refill dance. I got a sheet of Felpro 3187 and cut gaskets for the two big drain plugs. It's nice material for the purpose, I got it locally the same day and a roll costs less than two gaskets+shipping. And there's plenty for the next time/other uses.

like me, only I'm cheaper, just cut from a cereal box. :)
:lol:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back