Tried to start the 8N the other day and it acted like it would when not getting a good connection somewhere. I even used a jump starter and it turned over great but no sign of it getting spark. Anyway, I used a meter on the key switch and could not get a beep while checking for continuity. So, I pulled the switch and off to Napa I went. Of course they did not have one exactly listed for the 8N but they did have a universal switch that matched my old switch perfectly.
I have not installed the new switch yet since it's been too cold and windy to mess with it. But, I do have a couple questions maybe you guys can answer. First of all, does that old switch look like an original switch? That old switch only had two key positions, vertical or one position to the left for on. This is the way it's been for the last 20 years. Did the original 8N switch have two two positions beside off?
The new switch has two position besides the off. Key vertical=off. key to the left=two of the back screws have continuity. Key to the right of off and all three screws have continuity.
This means key to the left and you have running tractor. Key to the right and you can have tractor and lights. Trouble is that the off is in between so if it getting dark and you want to switch on the lights you have to switch back to vertical first so the tractor shuts off. Then switch to the right and start it again with lights. So, I'm sure this can't be an original switch. Kind of strange huh?
On my MF202, one position to the right and the tractor runs, one more switch to the right and the lights come on. This is the way I figure my 8N should have been.
I have not installed the new switch yet since it's been too cold and windy to mess with it. But, I do have a couple questions maybe you guys can answer. First of all, does that old switch look like an original switch? That old switch only had two key positions, vertical or one position to the left for on. This is the way it's been for the last 20 years. Did the original 8N switch have two two positions beside off?
The new switch has two position besides the off. Key vertical=off. key to the left=two of the back screws have continuity. Key to the right of off and all three screws have continuity.
This means key to the left and you have running tractor. Key to the right and you can have tractor and lights. Trouble is that the off is in between so if it getting dark and you want to switch on the lights you have to switch back to vertical first so the tractor shuts off. Then switch to the right and start it again with lights. So, I'm sure this can't be an original switch. Kind of strange huh?
On my MF202, one position to the right and the tractor runs, one more switch to the right and the lights come on. This is the way I figure my 8N should have been.