Many do smoke a little. Normal. Don't worry about it. Some smoke a lot and still get plenty of work done.

Oil depends on operating conditions (summer vs. winter use) and oil pressure.

I use 15w40 Shell Rotella or FarmOyl. Both are heavy duty rated oils recommended for diesel engines.

A 10psi or slightly lower hot idle is acceptable. Lower than that and you should put a heavier oil in.

Colin, MN

choose an oil based on your climate and engine condition.

a slightly worn unit with lowish hot oil pressure will probably like 15w40 or 20w50 better thn a straight 30.. etc.

better startup..

I personally try to run 15w40 in most of my machines.

Dealers choice on oil all good replies. A lot of these old Ns smoke due to stuck rings and not wear. Did this one sit somewhere for a long time. If so you could do a atf or MM oil soak. Do you have a lot of blow by.

I run shell rotella 15w40, great oil, I run it in my old tractor, lawn tractor, diesel dodge truck, etc:

if the old tractor still smokes or has too low oil pressure you might add a little Lucas oil stabilizer, pint at a time,

some long haul truck drivers would not let you change the oil in their big trucks without adding lucas oil stabilizer. I have even added it to my old tractor lift oil to help it along some, as we are all getting a little older and more worn.

I run 15w-40m diesel rated oil in all my good tractors.
Tired ones get 20w-50 until I get around to fixing them.
While 20-50 seems extreme, I have run 20-50 in my Harleys
about forever. Frigid mornings, I just let em warm up a bit before dropping the hammer.

Like the other poster, in my area when buying small quantities of oil, ya just can't beat the walmart 20w-50 jug.
Lowest priced 'gallon' jug on the shelf, and it has 5 quarts in it instead of the 4 qts in all the others.....

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back