8N - Questions regarding starter and solenoid

tractordust

New User
Hello, fellers.

Had to replace the starter on my 8N. I bought a new starter and new solenoid.

Questions;

1. Solenoid didn't come with any screws. What size screws do i need to screw solenoid to starter?

2. Niether the solenoid or starter came with that metal L that holds the front of the solenoid to the starter. What is that called?

3. The new starter came with a new bendix. On the shaft between starter and bendix is some tape olding in a "cardboard stopper". The instructions say "remove after installing starter". That would mean taking off the steering box. Do I really need to do that? Any way to take stopper off before sliding the new starter in?

Tank you, fine fellers.

(quoted from post at 12:07:31 06/16/23)

1. Solenoid didn't come with any screws. What size screws do i need to screw solenoid to starter?

MPC specs those screws as 10-32. couldn't u cannibalize the old ones?

2. Niether the solenoid or starter came with that metal L that holds the front of the solenoid to the starter. What is that called?

click me

3. The new starter came with a new bendix. On the shaft between starter and bendix is some tape olding in a "cardboard stopper". The instructions say "remove after installing starter". That would mean taking off the steering box. Do I really need to do that? Any way to take stopper off before sliding the new starter in?

lol, i hope there's a way. sorry, no idea what it is tho.

(quoted from post at 08:32:40 06/16/23)
(quoted from post at 12:07:31 06/16/23)

MPC specs those screws as 10-32. couldn't u cannibalize the old ones?

click me

lol, i hope there's a way. sorry, no idea what it is tho.

Tank ya, feller!

1. Unfortunately I lost me screws.

3. It appears to be holding the starter together and keeing it from opening up. I could hold onto both ends, mash it against tractor, and screw like my life depended on it.

What is funny is, I had the steering box off to fish out the old bendix, then put whole tractor back together.

(quoted from post at 12:42:16 06/16/23)

What is funny is, I had the steering box off to fish out the old bendix, then put whole tractor back together.

ouch! life is cruel sometimes.

(quoted from post at 11:46:51 06/16/23)
(quoted from post at 12:42:16 06/16/23)

ouch! life is cruel sometimes.
f it is the later style bendix, that is to keep you from moving it during handling. You can remove cardboard before installation, BUT be VERY careful not to move it during install. They can be H.... to get back into position!
Solenoid to starter copper strap:
https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/8N11518_Starter-Copper-Strap-Solenoid-to-Starter_15578.htm

This post was edited by JMOR on 06/16/2023 at 09:10 am.

So what was wrong with your original starter motor again? How did you determine it was bad? If it was bad, why didn't you get it rebuilt as all the FORD original
components were designed to be rebuilt over and over? Still have it? Wanna sell it? Many assume their starters go bad when it is a dead battery as the root cause.
Clicking on Relay (Solenoid) is the obvious signal. Screws are 10-32 x 5/16 Binding Head. Copper L arm bracket sold everywhere. Email is open.

Tim Daley (MI)

I hope you kept your old starter, probably a better part then what you bought.
I'd say the cardboard is there as you said to hold the starter together as it will separate without it bolted to the engine. You just have to be careful installing it so it doesn't come apart.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back