8n Starter removal

LesterG

New User
My 8N manual says to remove two bolts and disconnect the wires and pull the starter. It won't come out. The starter drive won't come past the flywheel. Have I overlooked something or do I have to seperate the engine and pull the starter drive off before removing the starter?
 
Lester,

Good luck in getting your starter off. You have to stand on one foot, hold your mouth just right, and close one eye. Just kidding!

Be sure you thread nuts onto the bolts to keep the starter from coming apart. They can be hard to get off. When I rebuilt the engine in my 8N, I could not get the starter off without splitting it (which I was going to do anyways. Most Ns have had the starter hole ground out in the upper corner to help get it off.

My only advice is keep trying and GOOD LUCK!
Danny
 
I think you need to have 2 5/16 coarse thread nuts handy to put on the end of the through bolts just as the are out of the block,but not too far into the starter.Also if the starter barrel is off & you look in & see the drive has come forward on the shaft{towards the arm, it doesn"t let you get into the little cup? made in the cast bell,to let you get out past the flywheel.I am not very good at explaining this,but it has happened to me on a few 8ns,ussually ones that someone tried to get off,couldn"t,Then called for help.. Wayne
 
Like it was been stated, get you a 2" grinding wheel and at 2 o'clock, grind it out to an egg shape. You will be so surprised and happy with the results. You will never have a problem again and you won't hurt a thing by the grinding. Good Luck!
 
I leave the draain cock in but remove ethe oil filter housisng and let it hang loose, then keep twistin' and turnin' it and stickin' yo tongue out yo mouth till it slips right outta there.
 
Thanks to you and Bruce"s info. The starter came right out. I can"t see why it was such a big deal now. I was twistin the night away until I read Bruce"s post in the archives.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top