8N Starter Woe

Went to start one of the early 8N's today (converted to 12 volt) and when the power was applied there was a brief "clack" and then only the spinning, unengaged sound. I rocked the tractor thinking it might have just stopped on a worn ring gear tooth, but no difference in sound after two or three tries of rocking the engine a bit. Did I jettison the Bendix? Don't mind the repair, though the re-install bites my rear-end every time. Just have not heard that sound before.
 
Yep, sounds like your Bendix sleeps with the fishes.

The owner of a local repair shop told me years ago that there is more than one bendix that will fit the starter; if you get the wrong one, it will be a be-atch to get it back on.

My guess is that this site or nnalert's will have the correct one.

I'm sure you've done this enough to have the nuts ready to keep the starter together when you get it off the tractor! :)
75 Tips
 
Thanks, Bruce. Yes, the first time I took an N starter out, I didn't know the thing was virtually spring-loaded and it came apart..., many parts! So now I keep a ty-wrap with two nuts on the solenoid so they are right there when I need them! Our local starter/generator shop has an old guy like me that grew up working on old tractor starters, he has the right Bendix; gave me a tutorial on the other 8N's starter when I had problems.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top