8n w/ front distributor v Side distributor

pard

Guy near me is selling two 8ns. One has a front distributor and the other has a side distributor. Both tractors are in working order. One has been restored, the other hasn't. All things being the same, is there one that is more desirable and more reliable than the other? I believe the front dist. means it's an earlier model? I'm not going to use this to decide, just looking for information to help my the decision.

You are correct as to which one is the earliest. If it were me, I would go with the side mount. The square coil on the front mount distributors seem so be the weak link. It seems like they fail more often. Setting the timing is more difficult (no timing marks and you need a straight edge and a ruler).

(quoted from post at 15:12:03 09/02/21) Guy near me is selling two 8ns. One has a front distributor and the other has a side distributor. Both tractors are in working order. One has been restored, the other hasn't. All things being the same, is there one that is more desirable and more reliable than the other? I believe the front dist. means it's an earlier model? I'm not going to use this to decide, just looking for information to help my the decision.

There were a number of improvements that came along with the repositioned distributor. If its close between the two I'd take the ugly side distributor over a pretty front distributor every time.

TOH

(quoted from post at 13:12:03 09/02/21) Guy near me is selling two 8ns. One has a front distributor and the other has a side distributor. Both tractors are in working order. One has been restored, the other hasn't. All things being the same, is there one that is more desirable and more reliable than the other? I believe the front dist. means it's an earlier model? I'm not going to use this to decide, just looking for information to help my the decision.

I have two 8ns. one has the side mount dist and the other has an industrial engine with a magneto. I like the magneto best, but the side mount dist is easy to work on!

(quoted from post at 18:30:30 09/02/21)
(quoted from post at 15:12:03 09/02/21) Guy near me is selling two 8ns. One has a front distributor and the other has a side distributor. Both tractors are in working order. One has been restored, the other hasn't. All things being the same, is there one that is more desirable and more reliable than the other? I believe the front dist. means it's an earlier model? I'm not going to use this to decide, just looking for information to help my the decision.

There were a number of improvements that came along with the repositioned distributor. If its close between the two I'd take the ugly side distributor over a pretty front distributor every time.

TOH
es! I mean, most of us don't have a ruler & straight edge, compared to all who have a timing light, after all. :lol:

(quoted from post at 14:12:03 09/02/21) Guy near me is selling two 8ns. One has a front distributor and the other has a side distributor. Both tractors are in working order. One has been restored, the other hasn't. All things being the same, is there one that is more desirable and more reliable than the other? I believe the front dist. means it's an earlier model? I'm not going to use this to decide, just looking for information to help my the decision.

What does "restored" mean? Which one is "restored"? Pricing?

Lots of things to consider.

One difference I'd look for is the improved steering gear box which came on the later (side dist) tractors. It can be easily identified by looking at the arms going almost straight downward from the gear box. If the arms are completely straight, then they are on the older style gear box. The later box had arms with an offset to move the drag links further away from the gear box. The newer box can be fitted on the earlier (front mount dist) tractor with minor modifications to the dash board lower panel. The newer gear box is much preferred, and some parts may still be available (see this site parts pages for the 8N steering parts).

I have purchased the newer style gear box for a 1947 (early) 8N and found the challenges installing it because of the mounting holes not lining up very well. The complete replacement gear box is manufactured in the orient to almost right specs. The original Ford newer style gear box fits properly.

I have 2 of the side mount dist tractors and one of the front mount, but the front mount (older) tractor had been fitted with the newer steering box prior to my purchase of that tractor in 1971. It has never needed any parts or repairs. I service someone else's older style tractor which the older gear box (straight arms) had been a frequent problem and I finally bought the aftermarket newer style gear box to make it a lot better.

If either tractor has a front loader, do not buy that one. The front axle and steering system is not strong enough to support the weight of a bucket full of dirt or wet manure.

The side mount (newer) tractors had a better steering, an easier to service distributor (points and condenser replacement) plus engine timing marks, but also improved rear axle seals which reduced the problem of oil in the brakes. But condition and price are likely the most important issues.

Paul in MN

(quoted from post at 10:51:10 09/03/21)
If either tractor has a front loader, do not buy that one. The front axle and steering system is not strong enough to support the weight of a bucket full of dirt or wet manure.
I bought a 2N that still had a loader frame and pump drive on it (I guess someone came to their senses and pulled the loader off). It did have quite a bit of front-end wear. However, I used it for nearly 25 years until the engine needed work. Traded it to a local mechanic for truck repairs.

(quoted from post at 10:51:10 09/03/21)
The side mount (newer) tractors had a better steering, an easier to service distributor (points and condenser replacement) plus engine timing marks, but also improved rear axle seals which reduced the problem of oil in the brakes. But condition and price are likely the most important issues.
Definitely agree with this paragraph, especially the last sentence.

This post was edited by Jim WI on 09/03/2021 at 12:01 pm.

The front mount is a non issue for me. Really don't see why so many complain about them. I have a 9n, 641, and a Case with a magneto. The front mount can be
removed repaired and installed in less time than the magneto on my Case.

For Me. I would be looking at the sheet metal, rims, and tires. I would feel around the inside of the hood near the radiator. Very common for 8ns to have the hood
rusted out in that area.

(quoted from post at 11:51:10 09/03/21) One difference I'd look for is the improved steering gear box which came on the later (side dist) tractors. It can be easily identified by looking at the arms going almost straight downward from the gear box. If the arms are completely straight, then they are on the older style gear box. The later box had arms with an offset to move the drag links further away from the gear box. The newer box can be fitted on the earlier (front mount dist) tractor with minor modifications to the dash board lower panel. The newer gear box is much preferred, and some parts may still be available (see this site parts pages for the 8N steering parts).

I have purchased the newer style gear box for a 1947 (early) 8N and found the challenges installing it because of the mounting holes not lining up very well. The complete replacement gear box is manufactured in the orient to almost right specs. The original Ford newer style gear box fits properly.

I have 2 of the side mount dist tractors and one of the front mount, but the front mount (older) tractor had been fitted with the newer steering box prior to my purchase of that tractor in 1971. It has never needed any parts or repairs. I service someone else's older style tractor which the older gear box (straight arms) had been a frequent problem and I finally bought the aftermarket newer style gear box to make it a lot better.

Paul in MN

Add a much improved oil pump and cast iron sleeves to that list.

TOH

Depends on what he means by restored. What are you are prepared to do (Sean Connery as Malone)? If the front mount is an early 8N, meaning with a 5 digit or less
serial number, and you want to save it, and all else works and is good, your call. A late 8N with angle mount DIST means nothing to me when it comes to restoring. The
Side Mount is the better electrical system if planning on a working unit and would be the best choice. As others have said, I have no problems with the front mount
Fords because I know how the front mount 6V/POS GRN system functions and how it is wired correctly. The biggest issue fellas have with the old FORD's is #1 the 6V/POS
GRN system, and #2 the Front Mount Distributor. The DIST must be timed, tested demand set correctly. FORD used the STAR symbol (*) in the serial numbers on all vehicles
starting early on to designate they blocks used steel cylinder liners (sleeves). In 1950 FORD changed to cast iron sleeves and the blocks now used a DIAMOND symbol (<>)
in the serial number to define as such. Nowadays it is a moot point because they no longer make steel sleeves, only cast iron. Thus when rebuilding an engine a star or
a diamond means nothing. I've always thought about why would FORD even need to ID the blocks in the first place??? I have my own theory. I have worked on a few N
engines that still had steel liners but rare to find one that hadn't had at least one rebuild. No way to tell unless one has the complete history of the tractor
documented. Engines could have been rebuilt with steel before they were obsolete. Don't be fooled by a shiny new paint job either as meaning t has been restored. For a
all practical purposes the late 8N is the better machine option-wise. Parts are available for both so not an issue. I suggest you get the ESSENTIAL MANUALS and do more
research on the 8N History before you buy. Chances are they aren't going anywhere soon unless priced for peanuts. If you are just looking to buy a good working machine,
I would suggest you look into a Hundred or Thousand Series Ford, the latter being the better preference. Parts for those are readily available too. There are a few
experts here more qualified than I here on both those later Fords too.

Tim Daley(MI)

Tim Daley(MI)

You can get brand new camshafts for side mount 8n, can't do that for front distributor models( search Ebay or junkyard). I have my '49 engine tore down at the moment for overhaul and don't really like the way the drive slots in the dist. end look that the distributor locks into. a new distributor shaft and weight assembly may help but the only alternative is to try and find a good used camshaft or is it possible a skilled machinist could weld up the slot and re-mill it?

Me too.
My 52 8N is very easy to work on the side distributor.
My N gets used at least twice a week summer and winter.
Last set of points lasted about 15 years.
Put a new set of Echlins in this past spring and hope to get many years out of them.
Richard in NW SC

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back