901 front wheel bearing retainer

showcrop

I have a rough feeling front bearing that I want to grease, but the retaining nut threads onto a sleeve that appears to thread onto the shaft. The nut with sleeve threads out a turn or two then tightens up. there are cuts in the sleeve from the outside in but with no space between the parts on either side of these cuts. There is a keyway cut in the axle but no key apparent. I know that I have encountered this before. I think that it was on an old snowmobile axle.

Hard as I tried to leave it and go to something else I was not able to and I kept playing with it. I finally got it off. It turns out that the bearing retaining nut is a two piece affair with the primary nut having a threaded tube extending out ward 3/4 of an inch. It is one piece threaded all the way for the axle and the tube part on the outside for a second nut. The second nut locks the sleeve part of the main nut onto the axle. The two nut parts just happened to have their flats aligned so inside of the hub it appeared to be all one. I am pretty sure that it was not original. The hub has blue paint under the red.

Hard as I tried to leave it and go to something else I was not able to and I kept playing with it. I finally got it off. It turns out that the bearing retaining nut is a two piece affair with the primary nut having a threaded tube extending out ward 3/4 of an inch. It is one piece threaded all the way for the axle and the tube part on the outside for a second nut. The second nut locks the sleeve part of the main nut onto the axle. The two nut parts just happened to have their flats aligned so inside of the hub it appeared to be all one. I am pretty sure that it was not original. The hub has blue paint under the red.
I used those for a while on my 7000 row crop (7200). I believe there was a third small piece that locked the inner part onto the threads. I think it fit into the keyway? Then the second nut locked the first onto the threads. I believe that was a SPAREX part.

The threads were worn out when I got that tractor. A regular castle nut just pounded off. Those nuts wouldn't hold either after a while.
I finally just welded a regular nut on the stub. I acquired the heavy duty replacement spindles and hubs to fix it, but I sold it before I ever had to replace them.
Keith

My 851 had those 2 piece nuts. I tossed them and put on new castle nuts and cotter pins. Had to add a extra washer or 2 for the slots to be out far enough for the cotter pin.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back