96 f350 starter issue ( the solution)

Thank you to all who replyed to my post last week about my starter issue. You guys were right on the money, but i gave in to soon. This is what happened,and i'll try to condense it. Clicking starter, my amatuer diagnosis was needs new starter, put on new starter, second day using truck, same problem click,click,click. Took it to a pro, "cheap starter " and an ear broken off housing. Pro puts on new starter, all good, stopped for gas, tried starting, click, cllick, click.
Asked for suggestions on this forum, got replys saying " check cabling and grounds". I went to work and found a badly burnt positive cable going to the starter. "THATS GOT TO BE IT". New cable and heat shield, starts right up, drive a bit, come home, shut it off AND click, click, click.
Im frustrated and take it back to the pro.

So the new battery terminal i purchased from NAPA this spring and put on the negative terminal had a nut cast into the lead that i must have overtightened and caused the negative cable to be loose so the starter circiut was not complete.

I guess the learning never ends!

Thanks to all that gave advice, i should have followed it COMPLETELY

Thanks again Chris

those clamp on battery terminals are referred to as {emergency repair terminals} not permanent terminals.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back