961D Wide Front End Adjustment

TractorDad3

Having trouble separating the outer and inner axle sections. Getting the hex head bolts moving was one thing, but separating these two pieces on each side has been a bear. Ive shot a variety of different penetrants between the two for months. Bang on it with a decent sledge every week.
I have an extremely modest shop (as you can see) without access to significant torch heat (plus I hate to admit I am a bit scared to try heating something with so much penetrant oil now).
Does anyone have a trick to get these axle sections apart?

Going to try to attach a couple pictures for eye candy. I certainly enjoy seeing posts with folks machines
cvphoto127855.jpg

cvphoto127856.jpg

cvphoto127857.jpg

Had the same problem with a Ferguson. If the bolts are, in fact, turning, that's partly a solution, as I'm guessing that the threaded end is rusted in the hole. Spin it enough it should let go.

I'd get me a jack under the middle and lift jut enough to get one or both front tires off the floor. Pull the bolts entirely. Then wiggle the knee forward or rearward acting like a crank so to speak. Should just about fall off at that point. I'm thinking those bolts with 60 years of rust need to be un-threaded all the way out.

your basic problem is rust build up in the holes so that it is not just friction but pressure as well.

Great calls, those bolts are NOT currently spinning. Ill keep at those specifically and report back.
Thank you for your inputs!

If you an air comp and a impact driver with six point socket, you might try slamming it both directions for a few min. Of course, lube the bolt and holes too.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back