99 Silverado door locks

super99

Well-known Member
I have a 99 Silverado 1/2 ton pickup that was a toad before I got it. The door locks have never been right since I got it. Driver door locks when driving, passenger door does sometimes. When I stop the doors don't unlock, have to push the button to get out. Lately, every once in a while, I can't unlock the drivers door by pushing the knob, have to reach out the door and put the key in and unlock it that way. Rock Auto has a replacement power door lock actuator for about $110. I'm not sure if replacing it will solve my problem, so I unhooked the 3 wiring plugs from the actuator to manually unlock the door, now the radio stays on when I turn off the engine. The key fob has never worked, but I never tried replacing the battery in it. Is there something besides the actuator controlling this? If a new actuator will fix it, I'll buy one, just don't want to spend a hundred bucks and it still won't work. Thanks, Chris
 
I think you can turn off the auto lock if you want to I’d have to go look but it’s one of the display options on the 2005
 
had a similar problem with locks and also the electric windows, to fix i took the trim off
both doors, remove the button pad assembly, then the rubber/key pad section. With a cotton swab and alcohol, cleaned the build up of rubber/crud off where it makes contact to its assigned button.
And that was good for quite awhile, the second time just the passenger side was the one needing a cleaning.
hope it helps.
 
And i forgot the radio operation...the electrics and logic of the door/radio/windows/door open alarm/seat belt alarm, and maybe other
features that can be turned on/off by using the dash display menus,
is processed thru the radio itself, the radio "brain" module is probably getting confused as to what is what.
 
I have a 99 Silverado 1/2 ton pickup that was a toad before I got it. The door locks have never been right since I got it. Driver door locks when driving, passenger door does sometimes. When I stop the doors don't unlock, have to push the button to get out. Lately, every once in a while, I can't unlock the drivers door by pushing the knob, have to reach out the door and put the key in and unlock it that way. Rock Auto has a replacement power door lock actuator for about $110. I'm not sure if replacing it will solve my problem, so I unhooked the 3 wiring plugs from the actuator to manually unlock the door, now the radio stays on when I turn off the engine. The key fob has never worked, but I never tried replacing the battery in it. Is there something besides the actuator controlling this? If a new actuator will fix it, I'll buy one, just don't want to spend a hundred bucks and it still won't work. Thanks, Chris
We had a '99 Yukon that when it rained, the seat heater would cycle... high, medium, low, off, high... Chased that for years. Never found where the issue was. Seemed like it was just a clean/tight grounding issue, but never found it.
 
Driver door locks when driving, passenger door does sometimes. When I stop the doors don't unlock, have to push the button to get out.
That is not a feature on a 1999.
The passenger door not locking sometimes indicates a dirty contact.
Your door not unlocking is probably a dirty switch or dirty contacts.
 
2000 was the first year that the owner could program the door locks.
99 back it has to be done by dealer using a scan tool.

Something you could try with no guarantee.

Turn the ignition on (no start). Press and hold the lock button on the FOB for 15 seconds. Sometimes it will disable the door locks. Other times it won't. May try it on the door panel also if the FOB doesn't work.
 
On the radio, that generation of trucks (99-07 1/2 tons) would play the radio for 10 minutes after you shut the key off, but would shut the radio off when you opened the door. Disconnecting the lock actuator apparently disabled that sensor.

Worst case the radio will stay on for 10 minutes after you get out of the truck if you don't fix the power locks.
 
On my 03 and the 04 you can select your options. MY 03 locks and unlocks when you drive and place in park. the 04 does not. Occasionally the 04 will lock if you leave it setting with the key in the ignition and you will find this hard to believe the 04 has locked on its own setting in the drive when there was a lightning storm. I have retrained both trucks to accept a different key fob, my wife lost the fob for the 04 and when I recently bought the 03 it didn't come with a fob. They now use the same fob/code.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top