9N Ford Hydraulic pressure spec

1973justin

New User
I know how to check the pressure on my 9n tractor. It wont pick it up the box scraper, it tries to. With RPM'S all the way at high idle. I only have 700 psi on the pressure gauge. I have replaced the pressure relief valve, same issue. Does anyone know what the pressure spec is supposed to be?

(quoted from post at 14:25:47 12/21/22) I know how to check the pressure on my 9n tractor. It wont pick it up the box scraper, it tries to. With RPM'S all the way at high idle. I only have 700 psi on the pressure gauge. I have replaced the pressure relief valve, same issue. Does anyone know what the pressure spec is supposed to be?
000-2200psi. My two are 1000 and 1500, work fair to ok. Remove round side cover and look inside when trying to lift and carefully observe for leaks.

(quoted from post at 14:25:47 12/21/22) I know how to check the pressure on my 9n tractor. It wont pick it up the box scraper, it tries to. With RPM'S all the way at high idle. I only have 700 psi on the pressure gauge. I have replaced the pressure relief valve, same issue. Does anyone know what the pressure spec is supposed to be?

It should be 1500-1600 PSI. The problem is low pressure at the test port wont tell ypu we here the pressure loss is. You hsve replaced the relief valve but the pump, lift cylinde, and hydraulic circuit are still potential culprits.

TOH

HiYa Justin-
You suffer from an old worn out hydraulic system and a new relief valve is not going to fix that. You need to perform the LEAK DOWN TEST first, so if your implement
won't even pick it up, you have a severe case. FORD hyd systems are one of the most neglected on the tractor and usually aren't considered until there is a problem. To
test lift, attach an implement, remove side inspection covers on lower center housing, and raise lift up to full UP position, leave it UP, then shut down tractor.
Immediately get on the floor with a good flashlight and looking up to the hydraulic cylinder that is located on the bottom of the top cover under the seat, and observe
closely if you see hydraulic oil seeping down from the cylinder walls and piston. Yes? Problem verified. At this time you can also look for a cracked pump base. If oil
is murky brown/whitish color, it is contaminated with water. In cold temps the water will freeze and if you try running the tractor pump without getting system all
warmed up, you may crack the pump base. This can be sometimes seen as bubbles gurgling the bottom of oil reservoir when running but keep your hands away from running
parts. Your hyd system is in need of a total rebuild. If when you shut down the tractor the load drops right away, or even slowly visible that it is dropping, ite's
another sure sign system is worn out. To fix correctly plan on a total pump and top cover removal, a lot of time, and a helper or two. It's not a difficult project if
you are mechanically inclined and use to wrenching, just time consuming mostly, and you must know how to proceed correctly too. Use your OEM Manuals and I&T FO-4
Manual for proper procedure. The 9N/2N hydraulic System is different than the later 8N and up systems. There is a Wishbone Bracket linkage that connects to the pump
and it must be removed first B4 you pull the top cover off. ALL top covers have the hyd cylinder bolted to bottom of the top cover with 4 bolts. These are shown from
under the seat but are NOT removed until you get the linkage disconnected and the top cover off and on your bench to avoid a disaster. If pumpi not cracked, a total
rebuild kit is available for about $350 and includes all the gaskets but not a new cylinder and piston. The original N's used a piston with three steel rings as seals
and wipers. This setup is often the culprit when a system gets low on oil and starts gouging the walls of the cylinder thus causing leaks. When the NAA came out, it
now used a different piston with a rubber O-RING and a leather wiper/seal and was a better design. The NAA parts will work on any 9N, 2N, and 8N system as well. OEM
rebuilt and non rebuilt pumps can be found in ADS here and on fleabay too. If you've never done this before, I advise to first get and read the manuals.

FORD 9N/2N TRACTOR HYDRAULIC SYSTEM TOP COVER w/CYLINDER & WISHBONE BRACKET ATTACHED:

TQGtZRFl.jpg

CUadHSHl.jpg

Tim Daley(MI)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back