9n Steering Out of mesh

SCUTR9N

New User
Here's the problem. I ran into a tree with my 9n while Brush hogging. The right tire hit the tree and the wheel was turned to the extreme right. Was able to back it away from the tree but the front wheels were pointing outward. I was able to make it back to the barn but the wheels were chafing all the way.

After inspection nothing on the front end was broken or bent. however, the steering arms are out of "mesh". The shop manual says that I can "synchronize" the two without pulling the steering housing. My question is..... Has anyone ever done this? and How do you "Re-engage both sectors with the steering shaft pinion"? I don't want to have to take off my front-loader, hood, gas tank, battery and controls to take apart the steering housing.

Thanks... should never have tried to go between those two trees.

On my 2N, I was able to unbolt, and lift (or pry up) the top part of the steering housing about 3/4 inch which allows the wheels to be straightened out. Then lower the top part and re-secure. The bolt-work took more time than any other part. Avoid trees in the future.

The above was without doing anything to the hood or steering rods (drag links). It helps to raise the front end enough so you don't have much weight on the tires.

Yes. Just follow the instruction in the FO4 manual. Disconnect the drag links form the steering arms, move the left arm all the way forward
and the right arm all the way to the rear, Now bring both arms back to the center and the steering should be timed.

(quoted from post at 15:37:20 09/04/17) Yes. Just follow the instruction in the FO4 manual. Disconnect the drag links form the steering arms, move the left arm all the way forward
and the right arm all the way to the rear, Now bring both arms back to the center and the steering should be timed.
Thanks for the reply's. I found a previous post about following moving the steering arms but just couldn't see how that would work. My next task is to take off the tie rod ends of the drag links and replace them. I assume I will be able to do the same adjustment once I get both of the tie rods separated from the spindle arms. That should free up the steering arms for the full movement I need. Correct?

(quoted from post at 17:20:09 09/04/17) Yes. Have faith. It works.

Thanks, I don't mind telling you that I was pretty upset with myself to do such a stupid thing. Good lesson about how fast things can happen using this equipment.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you very well may continue to have this problem, until your steering sectors are unusable. Your sectors bumped out of sync says to me they are worn, very common on a 9N / 2N, especially with a FEL.

(quoted from post at 09:20:22 09/05/17) Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you very well may continue to have this problem, until your steering sectors are unusable. Your sectors bumped out of sync says to me they are worn, very common on a 9N / 2N, especially with a FEL.

I think in the back of my mind I know that. I just wanted to get the rest of my field cut before winter. I may pull the whole thing apart over the late fall and early spring. It had a lot of play in the steering before I hit the tree. FEL?

(reply to post at 10:03:57 09/05/17)

Update!!! re-synchronizing the steering gear worked! Followed the steps in the manual (FO-4) and on this forum and it worked! In fact, the steering is tighter than it was before. Thanks to everyone who helped out on this post. This fix saved me a lot of time. Pretty sure I'm due for a rebuild on the steering but for now I'm back in business.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back