A distinction in plow shares:

connor9988

I wanted to point out the difference to styles of plow shares that people are common to see.

There are many terms used for these especially based on the region of the country/globe you come from. You will even see different terminology in the old manuals. I just wanted to post this for those who
have ever wondered.

The first picture is the Old Style or Blacksmith plow share. Called this because you could repoint the snout on it (or have a blacksmith do it for you in a forge) whenever it became dull. At one time
every brand of plow used these shares and they are know for having better penetration and draft compared to the second picture.

The second picture is of the Economy or Throw Away style of plow share. These were cheaper to produce and purchase and were meant to be discarded after use and replaced with a new one. They do not
typically have snouts and if they do, they are shorter than the Blacksmith type shares. These newer shares do not penetrate as well as the older style and have more draft (pull harder) than the older
style.

cvphoto100615.png

cvphoto100616.png

I just acquired a Case Centennial plow and noticed the shares appeared to have had the points on them built up. I did not know that was the proper procedure for repairing them, good to know.

If you look in the OLD centennial plow manuals it will describe how to blacksmith the points. With some practice I think anyone could do it.

We called the plow parts in your pictures plow lays. As indicated, a blacksmith could sharpen them at least 2-3 times before they were no longer usable. I also remember the local blacksmith sharpening our lister lays. We listed a lot of our corn & grain sorghum in the part of SD I grew up in during the late '50's & early '60's. I am afraid that sharpening plow and lister lays in a forge is a lost skill. It has not been passed on as many of the blacksmiths that had those skills passed away.

Those old plows where new shares are no longer available are not used for serious plowing anymore. Maybe the garden or the local plowing bee. Therefor when I had my shop open I did it several different ways. Go to Fleet Farm and buy a couple new shares. Blow some holes in the right place and bolt them on. Cut a new point out of an old share and weld it on. I've even cut off a field cult. shovel and welded it on as a point. Or weld a used share on top of the old share. For the amount of plowing we do with these old plows any kind of repair will outlast us. Now if your fixing it up for show, that's a different story.

The new style dont wear worth a dang compared to the blacksmith either . I have yet to break a blacksmith share but I break the new style at least one set a year

cvphoto100647.jpg

cvphoto100648.jpg

Our local black smith had new points that he would weld on after cutting old point off,then weld 3/8 thick x 2-2/1 wide on cutting edge then hammer it down with trip hammer, then grind a nice cutting edge on it.

Pete

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back