A little more plowing, not good

jon f mn

Did a little more plowing last night, was pretty wet but this field is and so it went. There was so much water that water would be in the furrow when I came back around. Lol. The problem was this is the field one of the previous renters had put up fence in, then took the posts but left the wire lay. I found the wire first with the brush mower earlier. I pulled out all the wire I could find before starting plowing, but obviously missed some. Found this the first round. Walked the field again after that and found more, but still missed some because I kept finding more with the plow. Must have cleaned the plow off half a dozen times. Hopefully I got it all now. Supposed to rain again sat. and sun. so I hope I can get more done the next two nights. This ground needs to be fall plowed or you can have a real mess.
cvphoto1369.png

cvphoto1370.png

cvphoto1371.png

You guys up that way have some good ground. No way I could drag 5 bottoms in what we have down here. Especially with that small machine (930 or 1030?).

Back when I still plowed, the best I could do was pull a 3 bottom.

mvphoto26262.jpg

mvphoto26264.jpg

Our ground is so bad that, in some circumstances, you gotta run two pieces of equipment back-to-back. Turn ground for a few hours, then hit it with the disc before it gets too dry.

mvphoto26265.jpg

Then, when it's a tad too wet, you get this. Big ol' greezy slabs.

mvphoto26266.jpg

Never did like working wet ground, it's too doggone hard on the tractor. Terrific draft increase.

What with climate changes getting worse, I abandoned plowing altogether. I simply don't have an adequate window to get on the field anymore. Either too wet, or too dry. Seems the seasons have gone all topsy turvy.

Used to be able to plow down in the Fall/Winter, and let it mellow before Spring. Lately, it's almost impossible to hit the ground at a good time. Upshot of the whole deal.......went to running an offset because it's fast enough to get on the ground when it's in the right condition.

You gotta nice machine there BTW. Always liked the way those engines ran, real smooth.

Jon, Kevin finally finished the beans yesterday. They were still at 17%, but had to finish them and get ready to start corn. They just put them into gravity wagons and parked them into the shed. They will run them thru the continuous flow dryer before starting on corn.The corn isn't looking real good either. There is mold and mildew forming between the kernels and the husks.
This year has been a terrible farming year. No market for hay, never even cut a nice crop of 3rd cutting alfalfa,rain every other day in Aug. and Sept.
One of the uncles passed away in Aug., and the other one is struggling to help out.
I have been helping out, what I can, but rain has ground everything to a halt, unless you are willing to run the crop dryers 24/7 in 90% humidity to bring crop moisture levels down to acceptable market levels, and that is like throwing 100 dollar bills into the air.
Tomorrow I need to take the 931 up to the farm and change the engine oil, and replace the plow shears, and put the # 2 bottom back on the plow that I ripped off a few days back. I got the frog all welded back together yesterday. Hoping the rain stops Sat. and I can finish plowing the bean ground.
Loren

Welcome Samm! Glad to see you here.
Just a heads up, these folks are a lot
more strict on content and language
than you're used to. Be real nice to
see your farming operation, I don't
believe we have any others from Ok.

Jon, If I plowed a lot ,you would be coming to Ohio to plow for me. Great looking job on the plowing and covering the grass. I just finished the soy bean harvest in the rain. No wheat planted ,still on the wagon and treated. We have had 5 inches of rain now and more to come. I have the plow on the 770 to plow Cheryl's garden ,I think it will wait now.
Jerry from Ohio

Hello Jon what part of MN do you live in? , I live in west Central, we have heavy ground so a poor job of plowing in the fall is a better then a great job in the spring, it has been very wet here , what a mess corn is wet, neighbors still has beans to combine, my yard is a mud hole,maybe next year will be better, Bryan

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back