A rock box on the front of a tractor

Bruce from Can.

Always sounded like a good idea, yet an amusing idea at the same time. This is my rock box.
cvphoto126591.jpg

I have seen many 2 foot square steel boxes bolted on to the front of tractors, and while doing tillage if they came across a rock, could stop and toss it into the box. This is my rock box. A clapped out old loader bucket I keep around for this kind of thing. I got this bunch of rocks doing one pass on this 25acre field. When I bought this farm 12 years ago I got 10 loader buckets full of rocks off of the sale field. It seems the previous owners had an aversion to picking stones. I am definitely getting ahead of them. My home farm which I purchased 19 years ago was the same way, this year I didnt get half a bucket full from 47 acres. I like the self unloading feature of this rock box.

I want to dig a root cellar into a hill and lay rocks for the walls and the front where the door will be.
Use to be apple houses around here dug into side of hills and a building on top of them.

One neighbor never picked rocks. He always said that the small ones dint pay to pick, and the big ones were too heavy. He is not farming anymore. Bill

Rocks that big would work nice to prevent erosion or landscaping. Do you remember pet rocks? You might sell them as pets.

"We spent hours up on Rocky Top
Down in the Tennessee hills.
Ain't no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top
Ain't no telephone bills..."

I may as well live on Rocky Top, granite bedrock is a foot or so under my feet. All the wells had to be lined up in a row to take advantage of a fissure in the rock--even one for a house that's over a quarter mile away. My loader bucket is no stranger to rock duty.

BTW I used to sing that song back in the day, didn't realize Rocky Top was an actual place. Gerrit

I have picked rocks every year since 1985. About the same amount every year. They keep coming up. I think they multiply in the ground.

I try to pick them every year as they keep popping. I think the next purchase may be a mechanical picker as I fall further behind. Anybody looking to build a cobblestone house. I've got what you need and cheap!

Bruce happy you are getting your rocks off. It's not fun to catch one in the combine been there done that. Randy

Had a co-worker from east of Nashville, TN, he said his soil depth was about 24 inches and then solid rock. He needed a jack hammer to put in his mailbox post. Basements were not common in that area.

(quoted from post at 11:48:44 05/26/22) Bruce, ship them down here.
I got some projects to build out of rocks.
Richard in NW SC
You guys are funny!

Here in NH I could get that many fieldstones with about 3 or 4 scoops of dirt with my backhoe.

The good old Granite State :)

That was the common term for in MN too, one of my co-workers nickname was Rockpicker! He had long arms, said they got that way from picking rocks every year since he was 5!

That's amazing to us no rocks in soil farmers. The only rock I ever uncovered was plowed up years ago and was an Indian hewed out bowl used to crush grain. Are rocks in the soil a northern thing? No rocks in the soil in my area of W. Ky. They've got to be hard on equipment.

I can say I never had to pick rocks. Dad's farm ground had no rocks. I have picked up plenty rocks mowing for others, just so I don't hit them the next year. Stan

Ive done the exact same thing Bruce, I used to sow grain with an open station kubota M8200. Drill roll and pick rock in one pass. With an 18 run JD 8350 I could plant roll and pick 40 acres a day by myself. The trick was before you start off again after stopping to get a rock is to lift the drill and back up a few feet drop them go. If you didnt youd get a 3 patch the width of the drill that had no seed.

Bruce I had the same rock box as you have. I would put the tractor in low and pick away. Would have to adjust steering as needed. That was the good old days!

Ha! Funny that tune Rocky Top should be mentioned. Just found a stray sheet with the lyrics in the ditch yesterday!

We put a few to many in the neighbors bucket. The tire blew before he got off the field.
On yesterday's bike ride, I stopped and picked a beer bottle out of a field. Why some jerk would think that a corn field is a good place for a dead one.

My x wife and I cleaned thirty acres like that. She sat in the bucket while I drove plowing. Cleaned an estimated two hundred ton of rock off the field in eight years.

I call a 2 a small rock but even that size will destroy the cylinder in a combine, doesn't even take that big.

Use to have rock box instead of weights on front of tillage and rotary hoe tractor and pick up a lot ,but went to full no-till about 10 years ago and seldom pick up rocks any more.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back