Abbreviations and Aconyms

Moonlite37

I did not want to hack the thread about the BP issue, but I have disliked abbreviations and acronyms since I quit my job as Assistant Service Supervisor

Those security people at the airport were originally supposed to be
Federal
Air
Traffic
Airport
Security
Service,
but somebody saw what that acronym would be across the back of their jackets.

Was looking for a number in the phone book one day for the last name Wolfe.
On the opposite page was a listing for:

I Peng Wong

And I thought I had problems.

I think it was originally going to be:

Halfway
Alert
Lethargic
Federal
Airport
Security
Service

That's what I heard anyway......

Larry

I hate acronyms. I'm not against acronyms, but I think whenever someone uses one in a communication of any sort, they should at least spell it out at least once early on.

In a large, industrial setting, acronyms are very useful. If I need to find out the level in tank number 32, someone else needs to have memorized the fact that tank number 32 is the Condensate Storage tank, to provide me with the correct level. OR, I can ask for the level of the CST, which increases the chance that we transfer the proper information. When it comes time to open the CST fill valve, we need to reference 12-KRV-791, Demineralized water to the CST fill valve, to ensure we accurately operate the correct equipment, without reading a complete paragraph every time.

I remember hearing the anti-abbreviation rant when our church monthly report listed pastoral visits by Pastor M and Pastor S. One member really had an issue with that, despite the eleven-letter last names of each preacher, and that they referred to themselves with the abbreviations as well. We all find a cloud to yell at eventually...

At my job we had to take Special High Intensity Training. We were to notify the front office, if we were not getting enough.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back