About giving up

Sandie69

Member
I am about to give up on my MF 35 diesel tractor. I am fixing to post it for sale. I dont know what is wrong or what I have done wrong. I ordered the rope seals and gasket to fix the rear main seal. It leaked worse. So then I decided to order the new rubber seal they have out now. Got it last Friday. Tore the tractor back in half and cleaned everting up and followed the directions to a T. Plus what I watched on YouTube. Got it all back together and its still pouring oil out of the rear seal. I have spent well over $1500 for parts, guages, seals, and parts books and manuals on this tractor. Is there anything else that could be wrong with this seals? The crankshaft maybe? I polished it up and everything. It is a diesel.
 
my dodge pickup had an oil leak on the front main seal that it took a speedi-sleeve to fix. the end of the crank where the seal rides was worn.
 
I have a Massey 2745 that I thought needed a new rear main seal leaking engine oil through the bellhousing drain hole. I installed a new one and it kept on leaking just the same. I took it apart again, looked very closely and discovered it was leaking from what looked like a frost plug capping the end of the block where the camshaft goes. I'm not sure what the back of your block looks like but it may be leaking from some other place. Also, are you sure its not transmission oil leaking out?
 
Yes sir. When I pulled the tractor back apart the first time I could see where oil was leaking from the rear seal. I know its not my transmission.
 
I know it is the seal leaking. As it is motor oil coming out of it. I do not know of any other place it could be leaking from. It was not leaking that bad before I started on it. I should have just left it alone.
 
I do not mean to doubt you, but I am going to question you again about the suggestion of it coming from the camshaft expansion plug in the back of the motor. Is it running down from that?? Please relax it is just a tractor, I know it can be frustrating.
 
(quoted from post at 13:40:22 07/01/23) I do not mean to doubt you, but I am going to question you again about the suggestion of it coming from the camshaft expansion plug in the back of the motor. Is it running down from that?? Please relax it is just a tractor, I know it can be frustrating.

used red MN,

I believe he is correct. The cam shaft end at the rear of the block is outside of and above the bell housing on the Perkins diesel, covered by a plate with adapter where the tach cable hooks up.

To Sandie69,

Just throwing some things out for thought. Where did you get the rope seal? Was it a genuine Perkins one? Did it fit properly (.010 to .020 protrusion when fully worked into place on the bench) without trimming the ends? No gasket between the seal holder joint faces, just a light coating of sealing compound?

You have come this far, don't throw in the towel. Step back and let it set a day or two while you ponder it, something may become visible causing it.
 
When the engine is up to operating temperature....

Remove.... engine oil filler cap....Any amount of crankcase pressure present ?

Is the vent tube off the Rocker cover plugged ?
 
I am new to this forum stuff and think I replied to the wrong person.
Where are you located? If your not going to fix it I may be interested considering price and location
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top