Adding Creeper to a John Deere 4240

Just wondered if anyone has ever tried to add creeper to a syncro transmission? Is it possible or do you need the whole Syncro-Range Creeper transmission? Anyone out there know how to do this or where any parts could be found to do it with? I have a JD4240 High Crop I use in vegetables and I would like to slow it down.
 
Just wondered if anyone has ever tried to add creeper to a syncro transmission? Is it possible or do you need the whole Syncro-Range Creeper transmission? Anyone out there know how to do this or where any parts could be found to do it with? I have a JD4240 High Crop I use in vegetables and I would like to slow it down.
Probably one of those situations where conversion would cost more than finding a tractor equipped with a creeper .

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/60244/srch/CREEPER
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5353.png
    IMG_5353.png
    379.4 KB · Views: 68
This used to be done all the time when many tractors were home built. I think that the toughest way would be to try to add a component into the transmission. Probably much easier to swap the whole transmission. Easiest to swap the whole tractor.
 
Probably the only way you're going to find it is installed in a tractor on a salvage yard lot. I wouldn't trust someone's "kit" to have all the parts anyway. The smart thing to do when you find it is buy the entire transmission, if not the whole tractor, to make sure you have all the parts.
 
Just wondered if anyone has ever tried to add creeper to a syncro transmission? Is it possible or do you need the whole Syncro-Range Creeper transmission? Anyone out there know how to do this or where any parts could be found to do it with? I have a JD4240 High Crop I use in vegetables and I would like to slow it down.
You might try looking through the parts list and through the service manual to see what is different between the Syncro-Range transmission and creeper transmissions. The creeper transmission case might have extra machining to accommodate the extra gears or maybe an entirely different casting.

Do you have a budget in mind?
 
I would buy a whole transmission or a whole tractor if it wasn't too pretty. My 4240 is a very strong runner just hoping to find the stuff to do it with. If anyone knows where to find some parts I be grateful. I been calling around but have not found anything yet. I have a good trailer where I could go get a whole tractor if I could find one. Thanks!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top