Aftermarket 3-point Question

Christos

Member
Ok, so after seeing Allen"s picture of his aftermarket three point, I gotta question for you all that use them.

If you install one on your tractor, would the hitch deal with the forces of draft that occur when you use it for such things as plowing, grading, etc?

Wouldn"t the pressure caused by the draft forces cause the business end of the tractor to crack and fail (eventually)?

Christos
 
M's carried corn pickers and pulled wagons full of corn that was allot of stress and they held together,sure a few broke on side hills and hitting ditches.400 and 450 had fast hitches that were used on plows and other equipment with draft and loads put on them they seemed to be all right.
 
There is no draft control with an aftermarket 3-point hitch. None. Nada. Zip.

It just works like the original drawbar hitch, only in a 3-point configuration. It'll pull anything the original would pull.

Now, what I DON'T like about this Saginaw hitch:

When used in conjunction with the original drawbar, it will not come down all the way. If a guy doesn't pull those "float" pins out, it will just simply bend something.

I gotta redesign that original U-drawbar so that it will mount inside the lift arms. Looks like the big drill and the chopsaw will get a workout. :>(

Allan

hitchlowered.JPG
 
In the case of the after market Cat II 3 point I bought for my Allis WD, the answer to your question is "yes" it does activate the factory installed draft control. Just the same way the factory hitch does. This only applies to Allis WD, WD-45, D 14/15, D 17, etc. It works great.
 
I made my own 3-point hitch for an Allis WD and a Farmall H. On both of them I tied the bottom end into the drawbar so that there would be less strain on the axle/rearend housing. On some hitches that I have seen they only hook onto the rear axle housing and they look like trouble to me if they were used for heavy pulling.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top