Aftermarket Stihl engine parts

MarkB_MI

So I went to use my 25 year-old Stihl FS-85 trimmer, and it's locked up. I suspect the kid my wife hired to do some work put straight gas in it, but regardless I'd like to fix it. Have any of y'all tried one of the aftermarket piston-and-cylinder kits available on Amazon and eBay? They're ridiculously cheap; around 20 to 40 bucks, but the reviews are a bit mixed. Most don't have all the holes tapped, for example. On the other hand, a few NOS original equipment kits are available on eBay for around $200.

Now when it cools down if it is not now, pour a bit of oil right in the plug hole. And see if it will come loose after it soaks down the piston for a day might just save the cylinder.

The quality is hit or miss and sometimes the parts are just wrong. I buy the cylinder kits, coils and carbs on EBay and if there is an imediate issue there is no problem with refunds, just takes a week or so. I do stay away from the cheapest of cheap as that seens to be where the most issues are.

If he did put straight gas in it , its toast. Not worth the oem kit. I put I believe a Meteor big bore kit in a 029, its been great. Its my saw and I try out the aftermarket in my stuff before I suggest it to a customer. I havent put one in a trimmer yet.

I've done just that several times. I used to work at a hardware store that doubled as the only small engine repair in town, and also a Stihl dealer. It was a cottage town, so you'd get loads of dingbats from the city with no idea about mechanics nor engines coming up and trying to use a chainsaw on their cottage property. Saws and trimmers came in all the time locked up because these goofballs ran straight gas. I'd pick up the scrap ones, throw a cheapo piston/cylinder kit in them and use them. About 7 or 8 of my Stihl saws I use all the time at the mill are rebuilt like this.

True, they're probably not as good quality as the OEM. And also true: if they ran straight gas the bottom end of the engine probably got worn a bit, but so far it hasn't been a problem for me. I run a slightly more oil-rich mix than recommended (typically 40:1 or 45:1), and make sure to always use proper chainsaw/air-cooled two-stroke oil. The universal blue/green two-stroke crap isn't good for chainsaws or trimmers that run higher RPM's and higher temps - it burns up at too low a temperature. I also remove all the spark arrestor screens on my saws, because the slightly more oil-rich mix can creates more carbon build up on the screen and sometimes plug them up. I can only recall one time where the kit didn't fit, and that's because they sent me a kit for a MS440 instead of the 460 I ordered. I don't buy the absolute cheapest kits either - try to get one that has at least a few good reviews.

Ive tried getting parts for the FS 80 AV model with no success. Had a heck of a time finding parts for my 064AV chainsaw, while parts for the 064 are plentiful.

Yeah, I hear you on the 064AV bottom-end parts. Have one I'd love to put back together. But the jug and piston should be the same for the 064 and 064AV, no? The 064 my favourite large hardwood saw. Almost as light as the 044/440/460, but with a noticeable amount of additional power. The 066/660 is more powerful still, but definitely heavier. I can't wait to try one of the new 500i fuel injected ones - it looks like the closest thing to the 064 as far as power-to-weight and durability are concerned.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm going to take a chance on one of those Chinese knockoff kits; I don't have much to lose. It wouldn't make sense to pay a couple hundred bucks to repair a 25 year-old trimmer that's been rode hard and put up wet. But for 40 bucks it's worth a shot.

If it was run with no oil, the cylinder and piston would seize before the needle bearings would be damaged.

Take it apart and inspect to see how much damage is there. If minor, sometimes all it takes is a little 600 or 800 grit emery cloth and a new set of rings. I have done that to a couple of non-Sthil engines. Little minor scratches won't hurt, but if scored deeply, toast! zuhnc

Hah! My old thread has been resurrected. Hallelujah!

Since my zombie post is walking around, I might as well give an update. I ordered a Chinese knock-off cylinder and piston set off eBay. I think it was about thirty bucks. I didn't have an appropriate ring compressor and broke one of the rings trying to install the piston. So I ordered a plastic ring compressor and a second set of rings. I broke THOSE, too! Then I realized there are stakes in the ring grooves and the rings have to be oriented with their gaps at the stakes in order to fit. Installed the piston with a third set of rings and got it all back together. The trimmer works like a champ now, although I've only used it for half an hour. Next summer it'll get a workout.

One of the strange problems I ran into working on the trimmer is that Stihl fasteners use a T28 Torx, which is uncommon. In order to get to the screws that attach the head to the block, you need a very thin, long T28 driver, preferably 3/8" drive. Nothing was available locally, but once again, eBay came to the rescue.

I have fixed many Stihl's that were locked up. All were due to the case bolts backing out and hitting the flywheel and locking it up. It may have run fine until they shut it off and then the bolts hit the flywheel upon starting again. I fixed a BG86 leafblower and many 261 saws. Check behind the flywheel first.

I have fixed many Stihl's that were locked up. All were due to the case bolts backing out and hitting the flywheel and locking it up. It may have run fine until they shut it off and then the bolts hit the flywheel upon starting again. I fixed a BG86 leafblower and many 261 saws. Check behind the flywheel first.
Not the case here. Kid ran it with straight gas. The piston and cylinder were both trashed. (Note that my original post was back in September.)

So I went to use my 25 year-old Stihl FS-85 trimmer, and it's locked up. I suspect the kid my wife hired to do some work put straight gas in it, but regardless I'd like to fix it. Have any of y'all tried one of the aftermarket piston-and-cylinder kits available on Amazon and eBay? They're ridiculously cheap; around 20 to 40 bucks, but the reviews are a bit mixed. Most don't have all the holes tapped, for example. On the other hand, a few NOS original equipment kits are available on eBay for around $200.
Mark,
I have no experience rebuilding 2 cycles. My right shoulder can't start a 2 cycle.
About 25 years ago we got a first time government stimulus check under one of the Bush's, It was about $500.
I bought a lifetime string trimmer. At the time, I wanted to buy a Honda 4c string trimmer, but couldn't find one.
A few years back, I bought a replacement carb for my string trimmer. To my surprise the engine was a HONDA.
  • Husqvarna 324L gas string trimmer is ideal for professional or large property trimming work
  • 25cc 4-cycle engine eliminates the need for mixing gas with oil
  • Multi-purpose trimmer that is compatible with several click-on attachments that allow you to transform trimmer into a variety of yard tools

I just used the string trimmer to clean up the dead flowers in my flower beds. It runs great and easy to start. Very powerful.
With all your money, you should buy two Husqvarnas, One to use in your second home in Florida. lol

Mark,
I have no experience rebuilding 2 cycles. My right shoulder can't start a 2 cycle.
About 25 years ago we got a first time government stimulus check under one of the Bush's, It was about $500.
I bought a lifetime string trimmer. At the time, I wanted to buy a Honda 4c string trimmer, but couldn't find one.
A few years back, I bought a replacement carb for my string trimmer. To my surprise the engine was a HONDA.
  • Husqvarna 324L gas string trimmer is ideal for professional or large property trimming work
  • 25cc 4-cycle engine eliminates the need for mixing gas with oil
  • Multi-purpose trimmer that is compatible with several click-on attachments that allow you to transform trimmer into a variety of yard tools

I just used the string trimmer to clean up the dead flowers in my flower beds. It runs great and easy to start. Very powerful.
With all your money, you should buy two Husqvarnas, One to use in your second home in Florida. lol
George, I have a four-stroke Stihl pole trimmer. You still have to mix oil in the gas. It runs much slower than a two-stroke, which is probably a good thing.

I don't need a new trimmer, for now, since my FS-85 is working just fine. As for Florida, Juan and Jesus already have their own trimmers.

Why not support your local stihl dealer.

I have, and do, purchase OE Stihl parts from my local dealer. But I assumed the cost of an OE cylinder and piston would approach the cost of a new Stihl trimmer, and I couldn't justify that sort of investment on a 25 year-old machine. I figured I had only 40 bucks to lose with the aftermarket parts, which seem to be working just fine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back