AGCO R50 combine engine question

137 farm

New User
This is the Deutz air cooled 6 cylinder eng.
On the turbo side of the engine, there are two metal pipes for each cylinder. They go up to each cylinder head, they have a spring at the bottom of the pipe I think to hold them tight against the head. One of these pipes is leaking oil at the top because the spring has broke at the bottom and has fallen down a little. I assume the spring is only to hold the pipe tight against the head, otherwise the pipe does not move when the machine is running?
I assume the push rods are inside of each pipe?
So to replace the spring, it looks like I have to take all the cooling mechanism off the top of the engine, the exhaust manifold, and then removed the individual head for that cylinder?
I will try to include pictures of what I’m talking about.
Thanks, Jason
IMG_3375.jpeg
IMG_3378.jpeg
 
It's actually not all that complex. Yes, you do need to remove some of the external stuff, the tin cover that's visible in the photo mainly. And whatever is required to get it off. That pretty much exposes the pushrod tubes. Then the valve cover on that cylinder head, the rocker arm unit, and lift out the pushrods. No need to go any further. The tubes will simply pull straight out toward you. You need to clean it up good first or crud will jump right down into the exposed holes. The trick is putting the tubes back if you don't have the tool. Deutz supplied one at one time That I used quite often at one time. I'm sure I still have it although I don't know where. Haven't seen it in quite a while come to think about it.
 
Yep, o-rings get hard and it starts to seep. Did that job on the 100-6 and a DX 140, borrowed the tool from a dealership, straight forward job. Also, we never let our engines get near that dirty, the mechanic told the boss " the power washer is your best friend, wash it before it looks dirty " The DX 160 had over 12000 hours on it when I left, still going strong.
 
Yep, o-rings get hard and it starts to seep. Did that job on the 100-6 and a DX 140, borrowed the tool from a dealership, straight forward job. Also, we never let our engines get near that dirty, the mechanic told the boss " the power washer is your best friend, wash it before it looks dirty " The DX 160 had over 12000 hours on it when I left, still going strong.
The life of those Deutz engines is keeping them clean. What often happens is those tubes leak, the leaked oil attracts dirt, the oily dirt sticks the the cooling fins, and the engine overheats.
This is especially true for a combine. Not only does the oily dirt cause overheating, it also can cause a fire. A combine Deutz engine should be cleaned at least once a day, twice a day if you are in dusty beans.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top