Allis Chalmers 170

LarryBud

Hi Folks,

Looking at a 170. It has the Perkins Diesel with ~7500 hours on it. New clutch and Torque which I assume means torque converter and battery. Same owner the past 15 years. I haven't inspected it yet but the pictures look nice.

I won't put many hours on it but I'll want it to start and perform when needed. Any thought on this machine and the high hours.

First it does NOT have a torque convertor , they are probably talking about a high/ low shift option. Were not bad little tractors and held up well. Most all AC 4 gear transmissions have a tendency to jump out of 4 th gear after several years of use. Lot would depend on the tire condition to price a 50 year old tractor.

I have one that i got when I bought my last property. I like it, and should be a good little tractor if you use it what is was intended for. Dont try to pull a 5 bottom plow. Mine has a loader on it and about 6000 hours. Bill

I agree, "torque" is probably an allusion to IH's torque amplifier, which is in concept a 2-speed powershift that allowed you to downshift to a lower gear if needed without clutching.

Allis Chalmers's version was called the Power Director, and most of the major brands had something similar. Massey had the Multi-power, Ford had the Dual-power, Oliver had its Hydra-power and later the Over-under Hydraul-shift 3-speed. Deere went straight out of the gate with an 8-speed full powershift, though I think you could powershift between 1-2 and 3-4 on their quad range transmission.

All the 2-speeds were similar in function and many simply called them "torques" after the IH version.

This post was edited by BarnyardEngineering on 10/31/2022 at 11:20 am.

That in my area would be a verry rare tractor. If I ever saw one it would have been at a show that featured AC. Anything after the D series is basicly non exition.

YES CaseOMatic was a Torque converter just like a car that fed another set of clutches that fed the transmission.

they had an additional clutch setup to go to direct drive to skip the torque converter when you got up to speed to eliminate the slip of the TC.

pretty good setup once you learn the tricks and didn't abuse them.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back