Allis Chalmers 200

dhermesc

I know these have the typical 4 speed transmission with the High Low - for a total of 8 forward gears. Is the High Low like the power director on the D17 that you can shift between without using the
clutch? We are looking at getting a slightly bigger tractor to run a round baler and to use to load hay (big rounds and small squares withe a grappler). See any issues with a 200 for this kind of duty?
Currently we have a 706 Farmall with the 282 Diesel and its just about maxed out with our baler and gets a bit shoved around on the steep hills.

How are the brakes and how well do these shift? Our 706 is nothing to brag about but compared to the 1170 Massey (want to replace with the 200) we have its a breeze to use.

(quoted from post at 09:13:12 11/01/22) I know these have the typical 4 speed transmission with the High Low - for a total of 8 forward gears. Is the High Low like the power director on the D17 that you can shift between without using the
clutch? We are looking at getting a slightly bigger tractor to run a round baler and to use to load hay (big rounds and small squares withe a grappler). See any issues with a 200 for this kind of duty?
Currently we have a 706 Farmall with the 282 Diesel and its just about maxed out with our baler and gets a bit shoved around on the steep hills.

How are the brakes and how well do these shift? Our 706 is nothing to brag about but compared to the 1170 Massey (want to replace with the 200) we have its a breeze to use.
Virtually identical in operation to the D-17, except the P.D. lever is hydraulic instead of a 3 ft long manual lever. Brakes are of two designs, with the later models being a little better. Both styles are mechanical brakes, unlike your 706.

How hard are the brakes on a 200 to service? Our 706 has great brakes - but when we replaced the tires we didn't fill them with fluid again - definitely a difference in operation now.

How well do the hydraulics work on a 200 (for loader use)? I know on the series IV D17 I had the hydraulics were great - especially for that size of tractor.

(quoted from post at 10:56:49 11/01/22) How hard are the brakes on a 200 to service? Our 706 has great brakes - but when we replaced the tires we didn't fill them with fluid again - definitely a difference in operation now.

How well do the hydraulics work on a 200 (for loader use)? I know on the series IV D17 I had the hydraulics were great - especially for that size of tractor.
200 brakes similar location to the 706. Not hard, but not a 5 minute job either. Hydraulics are comparable to the D-17 IV, but with a little more engine RPM. The D-17 only runs 2,000 RPM while the 200 runs 2400 RPM tops, so it takes a little more on the throttle to get equal GPM's on the hydraulic pump.

This one appears to be in pretty good shape over all. It has heat and A/C but neither are working. No radio - doesn't appear to ever had one. The controls on the inside look like they are right out of
1955 even though the tractor 1972. It appears to be an Allis cab instead of a later add on unit.

Are these set up like some tractors with the reversing PTO shaft for 540/1000 PTO?

Should these have a muffler above the hood? This one has a chrome straight pipe.

(quoted from post at 07:34:01 11/02/22) This one appears to be in pretty good shape over all. It has heat and A/C but neither are working. No radio - doesn't appear to ever had one. The controls on the inside look like they are right out of
1955 even though the tractor 1972. It appears to be an Allis cab instead of a later add on unit.

Are these set up like some tractors with the reversing PTO shaft for 540/1000 PTO?

Should these have a muffler above the hood? This one has a chrome straight pipe.
540/1000 PTO was an option, so it may or may not have that. Hydraulic PTO clutch was also an option...may or may not have that too. Hole in the hood is large enough for a muffler because that's the way they came. Many have a straight pipe now when muffler rusted out. 1972 would have combination band/disc brakes/first generation. I take offense to the controls comment. That tractor has "console controls", the FIRST and the original design of grouping most all levers to the right of the seat. The 1964 190/190XT had this feature first and ALL OTHER manufacturers eventually copied it with similar designs. A high deck flat platform with suspended clutch and brake pedals were a class act too, compared to Deere and Farmall's of the time. Once you operate one of these with the throttle where it is, you won't want any other location.

I was speaking of the heat and AC controls - they look primitive.

The shift and hydraulic controls are actually well laid out.

(quoted from post at 14:06:51 11/02/22) I was speaking of the heat and AC controls - they look primitive.

The shift and hydraulic controls are actually well laid out.
That cab wasn't real fancy BUT, it was far better and quieter than ANY Hiniker or Year-a-Round ever built.

Growing up we had a 190 with a gasoline engine. Slightly smaller than the 200, but close enough. The power director takes some getting used to to use for jobs needing the live pto, but once you are on to it, or used to it, it's not that difficult. Biggest issue I had was it was a bit of a reach, but overall a fairly minor issue.

Our 190 liked to jump out of 3rd gear, from what I hear the jumping out of gear can be a problem on the 200 as well.

We had a Ford 5000, and an Oliver 1750 for comparison and the AC 190 had by far the best hydraulics of the three. Also the flat deck and right hand controls for throttle, 3 point and hydraulic remotes were very conveniently placed compared to the other tractors.

I bought a 200 with a very nice loader on it. Hydraulics were not a problem using the loader. Mine is a late 200. The front end is a little light for a large loader. Mine needed some work on the front end. Since I have a rather large skid loader, I did sell the loader.

Spoke to the owner. He has had it 20 years as one of his hobby tractors. It does not have the 1000 PTO and sis not set up for it, says it starts easily in the summer but needs a shot of either to start
once its in the 30s and low 40s. The block heater does not work - the cord was ruined when he bought it. He put a set of tires and rims on it. The AC unit is still in place but not functioning. He
said the tack was driven off the alternator(?) and that when he installed a larger alternator the tach no longer worked. The tach was working when he bought the tractor and it showed 4200 hours. It has
not worked since he replaced the alternator early in his ownership but he figures the tractor has seen 20 to 30 hours of use a year since he bought it. I spoke to my brother that knows of this person
and he was surprised to learn he owned so many tractors. As far as he knew the guy had been retired for as long as he could remember and all of these tractors he's selling have been hidden in his
machine shed. The nice 856 I would really like is now over $14,000 the 200 is still at $3000.

(quoted from post at 17:12:48 11/07/22) Spoke to the owner. He has had it 20 years as one of his hobby tractors. It does not have the 1000 PTO and sis not set up for it, says it starts easily in the summer but needs a shot of either to start
once its in the 30s and low 40s. The block heater does not work - the cord was ruined when he bought it. He put a set of tires and rims on it. The AC unit is still in place but not functioning. He
said the tack was driven off the alternator(?) and that when he installed a larger alternator the tach no longer worked. The tach was working when he bought the tractor and it showed 4200 hours. It has
not worked since he replaced the alternator early in his ownership but he figures the tractor has seen 20 to 30 hours of use a year since he bought it. I spoke to my brother that knows of this person
and he was surprised to learn he owned so many tractors. As far as he knew the guy had been retired for as long as he could remember and all of these tractors he's selling have been hidden in his
machine shed. The nice 856 I would really like is now over $14,000 the 200 is still at $3000.

I was going to buy the thing, but decided against it.

For what it will bring + having it hauled here, it doesn't pay.

I wanted it for the motor, or as a working unit to use while I rebuild the motors on my 2 190xt's.

With what it's gonna cost for the "new" tractor, I can pour a nice slab(I work on dirt now), and build a very nice 2 ton gantry crane...................and have money left over to put into the seized 190 motors.

All tractors of this vintage are at the end of their service lives. My first 190 ran for almost 25yrs, the second ran about 4yrs. You see where I'm going with this. As they age, they get closer to the graveyard.

I decided to go this route, and tear the 2 machines down to see what's actually wrong with them. If it's simply a spun rod bearing, I'm in hog heaven. If it's mains..........I'm in real trouble.

So..................the approximately 6K(or more) total outlay (bid + premium + drayage) goes a long way to improve my shop area, and leaves me with some coin in my pocket. Another Allis will fail in the near/medium term, and now I'll have 3 non working tractors.

I use the daylights out of my loader tractor. Being without one for almost 9 months has been a nightmare. We're feeding with a 3pt now................A TOTAL PITA. My bale feeders weigh about 500#, and they're hard to deal with if you can't top load them. Add to that......................I no longer have a forklift, man lift, or crane..........all the attachments I built for my front end loader. It's killing me when it comes to fabrication. It's eliminated all my heavy lift capability.

mvphoto99230.jpg
I repurposed a bale spike attachment I originally built, when I built the loader. I replaced it with a new attachment that utilizes 2 setups.......twin spikes, or single spike.

mvphoto99232.jpg
The high lift capacity is excellent.

mvphoto99233.jpg
Incredible extension capability

mvphoto99234.jpg

mvphoto99235.jpg

mvphoto99236.jpg

I dearly miss the forklift

mvphoto99237.jpg

The forklift is the foundation for the man lift.

mvphoto99238.jpg

All of this stuff was built anticipating fabricating a bridge crane to use for rebuilding the (at the time prior to the second Allis seizing) motor on the good Allis.

Now I'm sittin' here with two paperweights(shrug). I don't need another LOL.

So.............to bring it all foward to today................

I've come full circle. I'm back where it all started LOL

mvphoto99239.jpg
Built this thing when I built the front end loader a quarter century ago. The loader components were getting heavier as the build progressed ROFLMAO.

mvphoto99240.jpg
I suppose I could use the thing to pull the bad engine, but I'm not confident that it would be able to do so. Being mounted on a 3pt, it's not capable of fine tuning when aligning stuff..........and it's subject to drift when the 3pt cylinder slowly bleeds down. I'd rather have a bridge crane(now beyond my means due to the price of steel), or a simple gantry crane.

I'm even thinking of chucking the whole thing, and going into retirement. My attitude on the subject changes daily.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back