Allis Chalmers chopper ?

tomstractorsandtoys

Well-known Member
What are the differences between an Allis Chalmers 780 and a 782 chopper? My grandfather had a new 780 with a two row cornhead that he pulled with his 190XT and I remember riding with him.I would like to find one for my small collection. It would probaly be used to cut 10-12 loads a year.I would also like an AC silage wagon.Thanks for any info Tom
 
I saw two (rough) AC chopper boxes at an auction about a year and a half ago. Didn't know AC ever made any until then. There was one on either the Minneapolis, northern WI or Eau Claire cragislist a month or two ago. Might still be there. Pretty sure it was in St. Croix Falls.
 
Got a 2-row 780 (I think it is) sitting out in the weeds. Quit silage in the mid-'80s; it was stored inside 'til about 10 years ago; ain't got a clue as to what shape it's in. The 2 sheet metal covers that cover the inside of the rows are missing; took 'em off within the first week; they were held on by springs and would never stay in place. If you're interested, I'll take some pics. I'm about 50 miles North of Memphis. We cut a LOT of silage way back when.................
 
I live up the road from you in Selmer and might be interested in your chopper. Would like to see some pictures. Let me know how I can contact you. Thanks Scott
 
<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/user/a_cjoe/media/photo-13.jpg.html" target="_blank">
photo-13.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo photo-13.jpg"
</a>
<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/user/a_cjoe/media/photo-30.jpg.html" target="_blank">
photo-30.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo photo-30.jpg"
</a>
<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/user/a_cjoe/media/photo.jpg.html" target="_blank">
photo.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo photo.jpg"
</a>
<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/user/a_cjoe/media/3boxs.jpg.html" target="_blank">
3boxs.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo 3boxs.jpg"
</a>
Here is some of my A-C Forage equipment we run on our dairy.
 
Nice pics. Where are you located? It has been years since I saw AC wagons as nice as yours.That three row head has to be rare as well. Tom
 
You had a youtube video of chopping corn from a few years ago. I recall enjoying seeing it. A person just does not see those machines around like 40 years ago. The neighbor had a 780 with one row head that was bought new. Also, had the newest AC table blower before AC stopped making forage equipment in the early 1970's. Even as a kid in the 1970's I had the collector in me wanting to pick those up even though I did not have a need for them. They are probably junk now if they are even around at this time.
 
those are some seriously nice AC wagons. the year before we went to a dump wagon and truck, I had 5 allis wagons to chop corn with, usually 3 or 4 that we were using, and 1 or 2 that dad was fixing for the next day.
I think that allis wagons were the best built boxes ever, once you got past the rocking at the blower from the table chain. I have the remains of 9 allis wagons around here.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top