Allis combine

# 40. granddad and dad bought theirs in 1941. early ones had steel dish wheel riveted to hub. later ones had spoke wheels to save steel for war. missing alot of parts!!
 
I heard Allis sold the patent of that combine to John Deere and that become the 11-A, 12-A and then 25. Allis then designed the 60, 66, 72 with the cross separating section.
 
These things were tiny. I don't think they even had a 4 foot cut. They came out after the All Crop. What I read was that there was a package deal that offered the B tractor, plow, cultivator and 40 combine, maybe a few other implements, but it was to mechanize a small farm. Dad said that with that hump, they looked like a set of hair clippers.
 
All Crop 40,I had several at one time a lot of them in my area.They will do a great job on grain and things like Clover seed,still have an old one over in the field looks better than the one in the picture.
 
I dug out Norm Swinford's book. It states- 40 had a 40 inch cutterbar. and gathered a total of 45 inches. Cylinder and separator all 3 feet wide. It's hump back was the first of that style- borrowing from automotive body panel dies.
 
I'm a little surprised it has a grain tank. I'd think the majority of them would have had a bagger.
 
.

We had one of the JD versions of the AC pictured, stuck in the brush along the lane the whole time I was a kid. I think a tree ended up falling on it before the farm was wrapped up.

.
 
That 12A was that turtle back JD combine wasn't it, That turtle back cylinder was so weak it would just bend up when a slug would go thru!
 
The AC 40 and the McCormic were both the same size but the AC was left hand cut while the McC was a right hand cut. Were more McCormic in my area than the AC And doni't think I ever saw one of either make with a bager and others perhaps only 1 or 2 ever, just pictures. Straight down US 127 from rrlund in Ohio that rrlund used to come for the 127 yard sales.
 
My mother's father bought an AllCrop 40 new in 1940, along with a B tractor, and a disc plow. It had a sacking platform, as did most combines around here back then.

My dad got a job riding the sacking platform for him for 10 cents an hour. My mother used to bring them water and lunch. That is how my dad met my mother.

I had a 40 and sold it to Richard G, who posts a lot on here. Also, there is a IH 42r sitting in a shed near where I live. It has been there for over 50 years and is equipped with a 4 cylinder Continental (I think) engine. Both are neat little machines. Allis only built about 15,000 of the AllCrop 40.

Garry
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top