Alternator conversion for a 3414

MeanGene1

Member
Has anyone done an alternator conversion on a 3414 Diesel? There is not a kit from the site for that one, and the generator is mounted up inside the loader frame, kinda tight in there. This one had its battery hooked up backwards from PO and is boogered, did not come back after re-polarizing, and I have not checked the regulator to see if that's the problem. Not looking for generic "wisdom", snark or scolding, just actual experience for this particular tractor/ system, switching to 12V neg ground. Looks like it might be a good place for a mini-alternator, not much electrical load, just charging and original lights. TIA for constructive replies!
 
Look at the Lucas or Bosch Alternators that were used on the IH 444 or 384 the last series of these IH Bradford, UK, made tractors.
The Lucas and Bosch have a smaller foot print than the AC Delco 10SI and they will fit under the hood.
 
Thanks- I just went out and looked again, there's a little more room than I thought, but still not a lot. I need to spend the effort to get the hood off, takes a little work on a 3414. Should be pretty accessible from the top. I think even a Ford G1 alternator is a little smaller than the 10SI, and puts out 42 amps, more than enough for this usage, and can be converted to 1-wire. There's also a Hitachi unit that is quite small. Really like to keep it simple with a 1-wire setup
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top