Alternator failure on Ford 1100

LenNH

Member
Have a Ford 1100 (diesel). The alternator stopped charging. Are there tests I can make to see what is wrong? Have a good multimeter and am familiar
enough with charging systems to locate parts I need to work with.
Any suggestions appreciated.
 
I suspect this will be your alternator plug?
plug-1.jpg



If so, E is ground between the regulator and the alternator.

F is field and will be "hot" while charging

N is an output only while charging, it is typically from a diode trio. It tells the regulator that it is charging, it is sometimes used to turn off a charge indicator light on your dash, but not often with Japanese alternator systems.

Like I told the other poster about testing, a quick test would be to unplug the regulator from the alternator and power the field terminal for a few seconds and see if there is output from the N terminal, this would tell you the alternator is working. You should be careful not to power the wrong terminals of course.

Another test would be to clip a test light to bat+, then touch the tip to the N terminal with the tractor off, it should light up bright, then momentarilly power the F terminal and the light should go completely off, if it's dim, the diode trio could have a weak or damaged diode.

Powering the F terminal with straight battery power will "full field" the alternator and should only be done for a very short period, a few seconds at most.

Before I did any of these tests, I would certainly check all fuses and ignition circuits, always check the simple things first.

MK


 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top