Alternator with External Voltage Regulator

Biglurr54

After splitting my Oliver Super 55 to replace the PTO clutch and pilot bearing, I have decided to replace the old wiring. I am struggling with how to hook up the Alternator and Voltage regulator. The system was working fine before I took it all apart. It is comprised of an alternator (Delco- Remy) and an external Voltage Regulator.

The wiring harness for the alternator to the voltage regulator stayed untouched. The Field terminal on the Alt goes to the F terminal on the Voltage Regulator. The R terminal goes to the #2 terminal on the voltage regulator. One of the leads has a diode on it. I don?t recall which on.

My question is where does #3 and #4 from the regulator go. If memory serves me right, they went to the ends of the ballast resistor. I don?t recall which went to what end on the resistor. I believe the right way is #3 goes to the resisted side (6v) of the Ballast resistor and #4 went to unresisted side of the resistor (12v).
Does this make sense? Is it backwards? I have attached photos of the parts and a diagram I drew up.
a177041.jpg

a177042.jpg

a177043.jpg

a177044.jpg

a177045.jpg

Get a GM 10si with associated wiring diagram and do away with external vr.Look on line on how to wire in a 10si...very simple.
Paul

I have #3 and #4 backwards I believe.

#3 should go to unresisted side (12v) of the ballast resistor and #4 should go to the resisted side (6v) of the ballast resistor.

I know the one wire alternators are the way to go but i am trying to get this tractor together and working so I can sell it. I have dumped a ton of money into it and things continually are breaking. I really dont want to dive into a new alternator when the one that it there works fine and just needs to be wired correctly.

Heres an updated wiring diagram
5581.jpg

(quoted from post at 10:28:50 11/03/17) Get a GM 10si with associated wiring diagram and do away with external vr.Look on line on how to wire in a 10si...very simple.
Paul
ooks like one out of three actually answered the question asked! Always amazes me how posters avoid answering a man's question, but rather give their option than an answer.

That looks like the diagram I found too. Im wondering if the ballast resistor will work as the idiot light/resistance wire.

(quoted from post at 08:27:29 11/03/17) Does this help?
a177053.jpg

(quoted from post at 15:38:53 11/03/17) That looks like the diagram I found too. Im wondering if the ballast resistor will work as the idiot light/resistance wire.

(quoted from post at 08:27:29 11/03/17) Does this help?
a177053.jpg
/quote]If you don't have a light, you don't need the resistor. Resistor is immediately shorted out by the relay contacts inside the VR as soon as alternator fires up.

I just reconfigured my external regulator unit to internal regulator by replacing the back half with a 10SI. Replaced rear bearing with an open ended bearing and was able to attach tach drive and didn't loose the tach. Eliminated the troublesome mechanical regulator. Just wired around it. Did have to provide a extra switched 12v line, as I had a 2 wire unit. Should have used a 1wire unit.

The ignition switch is connected to the wrong side of the ammeter. As it is now, it will not show discharge when the ignition is turned on. When running, the ammeter will show both the charging current PLUS the 3-4 amps the ignition draws.

Ok so I don't have an idiot light. Just an idiot operator. If I don't need the resistor how do I wire #3 and #4 terminals?

And I will switch my ignition on the ammeter. Rookie move!

(quoted from post at 21:09:51 11/03/17) Ok so I don't have an idiot light. Just an idiot operator. If I don't need the resistor how do I wire #3 and #4 terminals?

And I will switch my ignition on the ammeter. Rookie move!
ack up & read what I already told you.

I read your post. I get that I don't need the resistor but I still have no clue how to hook up 3 and 4 they were hooked up to the coil resistor when I took it all apart.

just connect 3 & 4 to switched ignition Same place as input to resistor and common to ign sw output

I would prefer that #4 terminal use its own resistor or an idiot light. A 20 ohm resistor can be connected between the #3 terminal and #4terminal right at the regulator. All loads...lights and ignition, should be connected to the alternator side of the ammeter.

(quoted from post at 18:20:29 11/04/17) I would prefer that #4 terminal use its own resistor or an idiot light. A 20 ohm resistor can be connected between the #3 terminal and #4terminal right at the regulator. All loads...lights and ignition, should be connected to the alternator side of the ammeter.
hy? As soon as you start it, the contacts short 3 & 4 together anyway.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back