Am I crazy for wanting to get rid of my MF 240?

I have a Massey Ferguson 240 that Ive restored that seems to be a solid tractor not that Ive replaced almost everything on it lol. Tractor has 319 hrs on it. Ive got the tractor running great and dont have anything to tinker on anymore and I honestly just want a newer tractor. Im not sure how I feel about all the dpf stuff though as Ive only ever had older tractors. The 240 is just the nicest one Ive owned.

Tractors Im considering

Kubota L4701
Kubota L3901
John Deere 4044
John Deere 3038e

Not against other brands those are just the only ones Ive looked at so far. I own 24 acres and have a driveway thats 160 yards long, have a 10 acre field I plan to plant trees in and cut maybe once a year with a bush hog. So my main purposes will be cutting grass and using the front end loader I will also be cutting up around the house with a finish mower as I just dont see the need of a lawn mower at the moment.
mvphoto70236.jpg

It s a dilema, isn't it.
What you have is a very nice unit that is more than adequate for what you
want it to do. You could even add a 100+ acres and still be adequate.
Yeh, I know, it would be nice to get a new one. But why.
It will outlive you. blessings. Kris

I would fine it hard to get rid of that
tractor when it does the work you do
good. Getting a new one is nice but might
not do the work as good. I myself would
stay with this one.

Either one of the KUBOTAS in a 4 wheel drive will out perform what you have so bad it is pitfall.
Just make a deal and you will love it.

(quoted from post at 11:22:32 02/17/21) I would fine it hard to get rid of that
tractor when it does the work you do
good. Getting a new one is nice but might
not do the work as good. I myself would
stay with this one.

I feel like the newer ones operate a lot better with the loader and shuttle shift or hst transmissions. But your right the 240 will get it done.

(quoted from post at 11:49:16 02/17/21) Either one of the KUBOTAS in a 4 wheel drive will out perform what you have so bad it is pitfall.
Just make a deal and you will love it.

I like the L3901 because of price point but the 4701 is a lot more comfortable to sit on. You think the smaller 3901 would out preform the 240? I know the 240 is a lot heavier than the 3901

That's a nice 240, great tractor BTW. I have a very nice 245 diesel that I did about the same thing on. It's not restored but in great shape with many new parts I had to put a new engine in it, everything bolted or connected to the engine is new, new clutch, hyd pump and several other things. Now it only has a few hours on it and I don't really need it anymore after I bought a 4x4 utility FEL tractor.

The only tractor I would mark off your list would be the 3038e

(quoted from post at 14:32:54 02/17/21) That's a nice 240, great tractor BTW. I have a very nice 245 diesel that I did about the same thing on. It's not restored but in great shape with many new parts I had to put a new engine in it, everything bolted or connected to the engine is new, new clutch, hyd pump and several other things. Now it only has a few hours on it and I don't really need it anymore after I bought a 4x4 utility FEL tractor.

The only tractor I would mark off your list would be the 3038e

Ive actually had a 3038e on my land before bush hogged 13 acres with it and I will say I was wore slap out by the end of that day. It got the job done but its not a tractor I would want to spend extended periods of time on.

My honest opinion is to keep the 240, it has no hours on it, is dead simple and reliable and uses very little fuel.

Yes you are lacking some nicer newer stuff like 4x4, shuttle, QA loader attachments etc.

If you've got the money burning a hole in your pocket and want new....I'd go orange..but I'd look at the M5660SU

You may not be crazy now but it's likely you'll be crazy with regret later on.

There are some intangibles, like the enjoyment of performing work with a machine that you worked on to get it to where it is now. Nice looking tractor, BTW. it's one of the reasons people get attached to the tools they've made themselves.

For me, I couldn't bear the idea of someone riding around on my nice tractor while I'm phoning the dealer for yet another fix for my newer machine.

Lastly, if you really want to make a change, the right deal will come along at the right time. Kind of like finding your life partner. Can't force it.

One last note: I see you're a relative newbie here. I'm nowhere near being a tractor expert despite my handle--I think they just put that there after a certain number of posts. But I've been in and out of enough deals to recognize a keeper when I see one.

Gerrit

(quoted from post at 17:56:29 02/17/21) You may not be crazy now but it's likely you'll be crazy with regret later on.

There are some intangibles, like the enjoyment of performing work with a machine that you worked on to get it to where it is now. Nice looking tractor, BTW. it's one of the reasons people get attached to the tools they've made themselves.

For me, I couldn't bear the idea of someone riding around on my nice tractor while I'm phoning the dealer for yet another fix for my newer machine.

Lastly, if you really want to make a change, the right deal will come along at the right time. Kind of like finding your life partner. Can't force it.

One last note: I see you're a relative newbie here. I'm nowhere near being a tractor expert despite my handle--I think they just put that there after a certain number of posts. But I've been in and out of enough deals to recognize a keeper when I see one.

Gerrit

Thanks for the advice man, yes Im new to here and Massey Fergusons but it has turned out to be a nice tractor. This is what it looked like when I picked it up.
mvphoto70250.jpg

Thanks for the advice man, yes Im new to here and Massey Fergusons but it has turned out to be a nice tractor. This is what it looked like when I picked it up.
mvphoto70250.jpg
[/quote]

Nice job on the Massey, looks great. Mine is a couple generations removed from yours, old MF F40 which is same as an F50 and maybe another tractor I don't know about. Has a loader like yours but mine looks worse now than when I bought it. They'd put some "lipstick" on it, prettied it up then dropped it at auction where I got it for a good price. Replaced a bunch of hyd hoses and the trans fluid, otherwise I just turn the key and it goes. Still need to split it to replace a leaking rear main seal-- that'll have to wait until better weather. It's a pretty primitive tractor by today's standards but it's done a ton of work around my place.

Anyway, just follow your gut. You'll know if it's right to say goodbye to your machine or hold on for a little while longer. From experience, the best deals come when you are not in a hurry to buy or sell.

Gerrit

(quoted from post at 19:14:10 02/17/21) Thanks for the advice man, yes Im new to here and Massey Fergusons but it has turned out to be a nice tractor. This is what it looked like when I picked it up.
mvphoto70250.jpg

Nice job on the Massey, looks great. Mine is a couple generations removed from yours, old MF F40 which is same as an F50 and maybe another tractor I don't know about. Has a loader like yours but mine looks worse now than when I bought it. They'd put some "lipstick" on it, prettied it up then dropped it at auction where I got it for a good price. Replaced a bunch of hyd hoses and the trans fluid, otherwise I just turn the key and it goes. Still need to split it to replace a leaking rear main seal-- that'll have to wait until better weather. It's a pretty primitive tractor by today's standards but it's done a ton of work around my place.

Anyway, just follow your gut. You'll know if it's right to say goodbye to your machine or hold on for a little while longer. From experience, the best deals come when you are not in a hurry to buy or sell.

Gerrit[/quote]

Yeah mine leaks a little oil from the rear main seal as well extremely aggravating to do all this work on one and it drips a little oil over night. Not to mention its a pretty big job just to replace that seal.

I owned a 3038E John Deere for 5 years and was happy with it. Sold it and got a Mahindra
with cab last year. Front blower is nice along with heat. Ron MN

I've got a MF-240-S, MF-232 loader, Perkins AD3-152 diesel that sips fuel, and I doubt I'll ever get rid of it. My only
complaint is the transmission, I sometimes grind gears, as it has no sychro. But that Perkins diesel more than makes up
for it. Indestructible. Start it up at 1200 RPM for 3 minutes, run her at 1700 RPM, my belief is she'll run forever.

Unless you want a cab and/ or mfwd I would keep that 240.
But it isnt wrong to want something with features that your
tractor lacks and being in nice shape the 240 should be make
a decent trade towards a new one . So its your money, do
what suits you and dont look back. I will say new stuff goes
up in price pretty steady, if you want to make an upgrade and
have the money, waiting 5 years to do it probably isnt the
answer.

(quoted from post at 23:54:03 02/17/21) I've got a MF-240-S, MF-232 loader, Perkins AD3-152 diesel that sips fuel, and I doubt I'll ever get rid of it. My only
complaint is the transmission, I sometimes grind gears, as it has no sychro. But that Perkins diesel more than makes up
for it. Indestructible. Start it up at 1200 RPM for 3 minutes, run her at 1700 RPM, my belief is she'll run forever.

I agree the 8x2 box is worst part of these tractors, solid and reliable though

I ran a snow blower on a 240 for a few years, Many, many shifts between R & 4th, U pattern, no grinding if you are stopped and hold tractor with brake. They shift good in high range on the road no grinding, double clutch or clutchless, 500 RPM drop 1-2 & 3-4, 1000 RPM drop 2-3.
Does about 22 MPH on the road :)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back