So what am I missing here, Ford 641D

grayrider

Paid a $1000 for this 641D earlier in the summer, simply bought it to get the new tires off of it and put on my 601 Ford gas burner. I knew this was a good running tractor at one time as it belonged to a friend but he bought a new Kubota three years ago and let this one sit in the barn for three years. Im just going to resell it as Ive done swapped the new tires and wheels over to my 601. I know I can get my $1000 back as is but would be nice to make make a couple hundred off of it for my time and few parts. Ive replaced all fuel lines, filter, removed tank and cleaned it but cant get it to run. Ive checked that the metering rod is not stuck as it will rotate freely when moving the throttle. Have tried a few shots of ether , have had my wife pull me in the pasture with another tractor for probably 20 minutes and still cant get it to go. Couple days ago I put a gas soaked rag over the air intake and it ran about 5 minutes off of the gas vapors at a low idle, was thinking it might eventually prime and catch up but would not. Any ideas would be appreciated, Ive got to be over looking something. If I dont get it running thats okay too as Ive got what I wanted out of the deal.

cvphoto134192.jpg

Here it is

You may have to pull the injection pump and have it worked over.
I've got one doing the same thing.

Have you loosened the lines at the injectors to bleed the air out?

Loosen each line, crank for a few seconds at a time until liquid fuel comes out without air.

Re tighten each line as it primes.

There may be an intake heater or glow plugs, be sure they work.

When cranking, white vapor out the exhaust indicates it's getting fuel.

there is a sequence to bleed it starting at the first fuel bleeder and working towards the injectors. Usually first one is on the filter then the second filter and then the injection pump and finally the injectors with the lines loose till you get fuel then tighten as you get fuel and it will start by then. This is all provided there is more than an inch of fuel in the tank. Probably should have a quarter tank at least to work with.

If the rotor plungers are stuck it will never get fuel to the injectors. I've been seeing that more each week on pumps I tear down for repair. Old stale fuel, water and/or bio diesel will cause critical parts to stick when engines set unused for awhile.

Where does rubber line go? Fuel comes out bottom fuel filter up to top rear on pump. Return comes out cover on side of pump then goes to Tee on tank bottom. Should self bleed if metering rod is not stuck.

I have a 681-D and a 961-D. I've run them both out of fuel. Put in at least 5 gallons or half a tank whichever comes first. Open the brass bleeder on the fuel filter, wait patiently for fuel with no bubbles to come out. Tighten screw. Start tractor though it will take longer to crank over before it starts coughing and working it's way to all 4 cylinders. As Dieseltech said basically if your pump isn't up to snuff, it ain't running.

I put 5 gallons in it, bled the filter and such but not getting fuel through the pump so probably needs rebuilding which Im not going to do. Will just send it on down the line to a buyer that wants to pay for the repair. I came out good on the deal and I know it was a good running tractor as Ive seen it used on my hunting club property for probably 12-13 years.

My 971 D ran out of fuel just one time. I didn't try to prime it I just unhooked my rake, went and got another tractor to finish with, and went back to prime the 971 a few days later. It is a long process to get it primed.

Check the gaskets on the fuel filter I think there is one extra that comes in the box that if used will shut the fuel off from leaving the filter

My trencher was like that when I first bought it. It has a 192ci engine of the same family. It was near freezing so I laid it all to being froze since there was some water in the lines. I got fuel flowing all the way to the the pump but it still wouldn't run. Finally out of frustration I took my wrench and thunked the pump some. Danged if it didn't start right up like nothing was ever wrong. Several years later and it still runs good.

grayrider , Is the shut not working or stuck,or cable slipping not moving the pump shut down arm.Just something easily over looked.

Before giving up on it, you.can try rwo things:

1) Remove injection pump cover on the LH side to Make sure the metering valve is moving.
If it is not unstuck it and put everything back on.

If it still does not start, and after being sure that it is well fed with fuel and primed:

2) pull start it with the engine running at 2000 rpm for few minutes if necessary, full throttle of course. First with all four injectors loose, then if fuel appear, tighten them.
Pulling it at high speed should unstuck plungers.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back