plattman

Member
Will be overnighting at the Big Texan motel in 2 weeks. Following historic rt 66 on into New Mexico. Will have some extra time and looking for suggestions in town to do. Thanks
 
I'm no help, but the only thing I did in Amarillo was lean into the dusty wind as I refueled at Buc-ees. Then I ate one of their BBQ beef sandwiches. It was worth whatever I paid.
 
If you are interested in quarter horses the AQHA headquarters and museum is in Amarillo. Palo Duro Canyon is worth touring by car and the Play Texas is put on every night. Big Tex Steakhouse is famous. I'm not sure they welcome tourists but Wildorado FFA students own and operate a fine herd of registered Angus cattle. Watch for antelope as you travel from Amarillo into New Mexico. Some of the largest feed lots in Texas are located around Amarillo.
 
Well, there's always the Helium Monument.

When I lived in Amarillo, the one thing folks from out of town wanted to see was the "Texas" musical, held in an amphitheater in nearby Palo Duro Canyon. But it's only performed during summer months.

Whether you want to or not, you'll see the Cadillac Ranch, on your way out of town.
 
we did that trip this summer Chicago Navy pier to the pier in Sana Monica California. Stayed at the Big Texan as well and had a good steak in the restaurant. watched a couple guys struggle and fail to eat the 72oz steak contest.

we didn't do much if anything there other than see the "Cadillac ranch" on the way out of town. Not much to see there other than back 1/2's of Caddy's that have so much spray paint on them you can hardly recognize they are cars.

stopped at the MidWay cafe as well which is in Adrian TX and had lunch and pictures of the mid way mark for rt66.

we went on to Santa Fe and stayed at the "Sage hotel" there. if i recall the New Mexico leg of the trip was some of the roughest and maybe New Mexico's Rt 66 signage was the least of all the states.

Enjoy!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top