an old axe?

larry@stinescorner

I was chopping some apple wood today,,for the smokehouse

Was using a little hatchet/axe

Dont remember where it came from,,it looks old as the hills,,and worked pretty good
cvphoto116499.jpg

cvphoto116500.jpg

cvphoto116501.jpg

So,,,I thought to myself,,maybe the axe /hatchett has a makers mark on it,,,I can show it on Tool Talk..it may be rare?

So,,I Went and got a piece of emery cloth,,,found a makers mark,,,

cvphoto116502.jpg

cvphoto116503.jpg

It says,,,CHINA

oh well,,,,lol

Are you sure it wasn't made in China ,Jefferson County Texas, population 1160 ,
Or the one in Maine or the other in Michigan? Larry .
That would make it a rare and collectable axe ! :D

Say what you will but Northern China has been known for steel production since the dawn of the industrial age. There is a reason Japan occupied the area eventually leading them into WW2. I do know they make some pretty good SKS and AK rifles.

Found an axe like that about 20 years ago laying in the road. Had to put a couple of wedges in it to tighten the head up. Two things I learned about it quickly. 1. It is not worth a darn for cutting trees no matter how sharp it is and 2. It makes a great little splitting axe if it is dull. Took a peen hammer and worked on the edge a little to keep it from sticking when you split camping/smoking wood.

I have my Grand Dads old ax. It is in good shape. I think about 3 handles and 1 new head is all that has ever been done to it.

I didnt really make a statement ,,Just was surprised because it looked old ,,I Dont know a thing
about axes or,,how old this axe is,,,

(quoted from post at 13:43:23 02/03/22) I didnt really make a statement ,,Just was surprised because it looked old ,,I Dont know a thing
about axes or,,how old this axe is,,,

I wasn't talking to you.

This post was edited by Carlmac 369 on 02/03/2022 at 08:58 am.

I have a couple hatchets Id like to know more about but they are in CO. This is what I use for kindling and my smoking wood. Boys got it for me one Christmas after I hit myself with a dull hatchet. No lost limbs just a bruised bone and lost nail.
cvphoto116653.jpg

cvphoto116654.jpg

That's pretty neat bmack.
Might have to build one to save my fingers.
I could split a lot of kindling with my engine powered splitter if I could remember to do it when I am splitting wood.LOL

Richard, with your welding skills it would be an easy afternoon project in the shop. Ive learned not to mix kindling making with Happy Hour, Ha!

Larry,
Old people can easily get cornfused. Ask me How I know!!
The younger people on YT have a hissy fit when that happens.
Who really cares, you get a free pass because of your age...

(quoted from post at 14:03:08 02/03/22) Ok,,,I get mixed up whos talking to who,,my fault,,,Wish we could talk,,a lot less misunderstandings
would happen,,,lol

Not your fault at all. It's the forums fault for using a system that shows I replied to you when in fact I replied to someone else.

I found a way that shows the quoted post in classic view but forgot to use it in my first post in this thread.

This post was edited by Carlmac 369 on 02/03/2022 at 02:36 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back