Analog Multi-Meter?

I'm thinking about buying an analog multi-meter as mentioned in Tip #47 if you all feel it's a handy instrument for me to be using on my '50-8N side-mount distbr. I'm just not sure what they are used for. Or, how they are used. Do many of you use one? Are they easy to use? I appreciate all of your comments, suggestions and time to respond. Thanks in advance. Best, Preston

I use a Simpson 260 and have it since 1956. There are other less expensive models that you can find at Radio Shack, electric supply stores or big box stores as well as what is on the internet.

Preston,

There are multiple uses for it (hence the name multi-meter) that are electrical related. Actually the term multi-meter means that it measures multiple electrical functions (voltage, resistance...). I am more familiar with a digital multi-meter than an analog ones seem to be preferred on our old tractors due to electrical noise that can screw with a digital meter. They are very handy to do electrical trouble shooting and can track down bad wires (both electrical and spark plug), bad grounds, bad connections, bad switches, bad relays...

Do some research though as to how to use them, what they do and what measurement to take depending on your symptom and part you are measuring.

Remember...be careful when working with electrical equipment. It can give you a nasty poke that, depending on how much amperage you get hit with, can even kill you.

Another cheap alternative is one of those "engine analyzers" JC Whitney and Radio shack used to sell. Big multi scale analog meter which can be set to measure the usual VOM things, and a some automotive ones liike dwell and rpm, with a reduced scale for setting idle. They turn up all the time in the local fleamarket for $5 or so.
I

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I have a handle on it now. Now I will be able to study deeper into the application and use for it through google and you-tube. Best, Preston.

The Simpson is used for all kinds of electrical trouble shooting. Covers various ranges of DC, AC volts and ohms(measuring the resistance of various objects , like voltage dropping resistors, etc.) I use it for working on most low voltage equipment, tractors, house circuits, etc. The "VOM" meters you can buy today have directions for their use, they are many and varied.

A multimeter allows measurement of voltage, current and resistance. On a negative ground tractor, you can place the black (negative) lead on a chassis ground, and place the positive lead (red) on the positive battery post. Read your voltage, tractor turned off. Let's say you read 11.9 volts DC. Now move the black lead to the negative battery terminal. Say you now read 12.1 volts. So you now know that you have a .2 volt drop in you ground connection, either at the battery, or where it connects to the chassis. Similarly, you can work your way along the electrical system. You won't have to guess, you'll be able to measure. Read the battery tractor off, 12.3 volts, now tractor running, 13.8 volts, ok, we know that the charging system is working.

Jerry

I would second the choice on the Simpson 260. It is robust and has been used in industry for decades. Radio Shack may still sell a decent analog meter if they are still in business.

(quoted from post at 21:19:32 09/16/16) I would second the choice on the Simpson 260. It is robust and has been used in industry for decades. Radio Shack may still sell a decent analog meter if they are still in business.

I have one, it is an excellent instrument, and I like it very much. But it's probably a little pricey and overkill as an entry instrument for a guy who:
  • [*:6083d04b66] is "just not sure what they are used for"[*:6083d04b66]does not know "how they are used."[*:6083d04b66]probably doesn't have a very good understanding of current, voltage, and basic circuit concepts[*:6083d04b66] and last but not least probably owns an N-series because they are cheap :roll:[/list:eek::6083d04b66]TOH

TOH, I could not agree with you more. A good meter is one of the handiest things to have around the place, but you have to understand basic electricity and ohms law to realize all its practical applications.

Agreed, but as the "Google is your friend" poster noted, it's all out there for the asking.

I'd add: Youtube is your friend. There are some excellent videos out there on electrical/electronic theory and application, along with how-to videos on the use of tools.

That's how I learned; I got tired of old cranks (and I am one now) who just yelled at me for being ignorant but wouldn't help.

Lots of us bought 8Ns because they were cheap. For me, it's a tool that get used 10-15 days per year. No need to spend $25K and up for something that's going to sit in the barn most of the time.

I get to play,tinker, and make mistakes on something that's not very expensive.

Most of us are not interested in "restoring" or getting them back to original specs. I don't want a parade queen--I have much better things to do with my time. I just need a solid, inexpensive tool that gets the job done.

(quoted from post at 13:10:22 09/19/16) Lots of us bought 8Ns because they were cheap. For me, it's a tool that get used 10-15 days per year. No need to spend $25K and up for something that's going to sit in the barn most of the time.

I get to play,tinker, and make mistakes on something that's not very expensive.

Most of us are not interested in "restoring" or getting them back to original specs. I don't want a parade queen--I have much better things to do with my time. I just need a solid, inexpensive tool that gets the job done.

i'll second this. the only change i'd make is that i probably use mine a bit more than that, since it's my lawn mower - so maybe 20-25 days a year here.

Preston, you will be better off if you start/learn on a $5 Harbor Freight digital meter than to ruin a $300 nice analog VOM. The digitals are nearly indestructible, whereas one wrong scale setting/connection and your $300 analog meter is toast.

(quoted from post at 14:05:22 09/19/16) Preston, you will be better off if you start/learn on a $5 Harbor Freight digital meter than to ruin a $300 nice analog VOM. The digitals are nearly indestructible, whereas one wrong scale setting/connection and your $300 analog meter is toast.

You never made a mistake like that did you Jesse ? :roll:

TOH

multimeter_1smoke.jpg

(quoted from post at 14:28:39 09/19/16)
(quoted from post at 14:05:22 09/19/16) Preston, you will be better off if you start/learn on a $5 Harbor Freight digital meter than to ruin a $300 nice analog VOM. The digitals are nearly indestructible, whereas one wrong scale setting/connection and your $300 analog meter is toast.

You never made a mistake like that did you Jesse ? :roll:

TOH

multimeter_1smoke.jpg
'm well aware of the old saw, "We all learn by mistakes.....the object is to make those mistakes at someone else's expense!" Company meter??
When it has been my own, I swear a lot! :cry:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back