Another Memorial H Update: Trans and Rear End

Ken Christopherson

Hello all. Well, got the rear end 99% disassembled. Very surprised to find it was nearly sludge-free and that almost every bearing is like new (with the exception of the pilot bearing for the top shaft to input shaft). Expensive little bugger that bearing is! Anyhow, I think I know why the bearings are like new. They were probably all replaced within a fairly recent history. Looks like the H suffered an inner axle bearing failure on the right side. Case has been welded inside and out, and there is significant scrapes in the bottom of the case from the bull gear. Common issue, I know.

I don't have a whole lot of confidence on the weld not leaking (since the bottom of the tub was covered with dirt and oil), so I am sourcing another rear case from a salvage yard (told them to ensure there are no cracks). Also needed a pinion shaft for the right side as mine had a few chipped teeth. Bull gear looks good, so they must have replaced all bearings, bull gear, and welded the case up reusing the chipped pinion gear.

As if I couldn't add any more insult to injury... I taught myself something about pulling the pinion carriers. You MUST pull the bull gears before ou pull the pinion carriers otherwise you WILL break the inner bearing flange on the carrier. Ya, ask me how I know....

Anyways, a good rear case, pinion carrier, and pinion shaft will be picked up this week. The newest video is also up for viewing. Hope you all enjoy and are having a great start to your week. I'm learning as I go on this one, and this is by FAR the furthest I have ever disassembled a tractor. Done a number of motor teardowns, and some very light transmission work.. But never anything this in depth. This is FUN!
cvphoto40235.jpg

cvphoto40236.jpg

cvphoto40237.jpg

cvphoto40238.jpg

cvphoto40239.jpg

Farmall H Transmission Teardown and Inspection

Oh yikes!
Yeah, the bull gears come out before the pinion bearing cage on M and H. Oh well.

That old repair could be sealed with Permatex Ultra Black if you employed a judicious cleaning regimen. Clean with brake cleaner followed by wire wheel followed by heat and then more brake cleaner and then final cleaning with acetone before applying the Ultra Black to the inside.

I you were closer......old unwanted H's are easy to find in this area.

Ya. Live and learn, right! Oh well. I have a replacement trans case, pinion cage, and pinion shaft lined up to pick up this week. I could have bought a whole rear end, but I just don't need all those extra parts laying around and there isn't much of a market. Few guys take the down this far around me. Most just buy a different rear end and be done with it.

But this restoration is something special... Plus, I enjoy a challenge and enjoy learning!

I appreciate that, Old, but I don't need a parts tractor laying around. I have 7 tractors in my yard currently, and am still within city limits, technically. I don't need to draw even more attention to myself!

Well sound like you will not catch up to me LOL. I have 4 Hs on the place and an M and a 340 and 300U and the BA I built and 2 B parts tractors and that is just the Farmalls and I may have miss one or 2

I'm all for tearing one down completely, or at least get deep into it. Then you know what you really have; makes for a more reliable machine that you don't have to worry about. They pretty much all have the same wear and problems in the same places. Swapping a whole assembly is like playing Russian roulette. You're going about it the right way.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back