Another SWD9 Radiator question

Mtjohnso

On my Super A there are studs screwed into the bottom of the Radiator for mounting.
Is the same true for the SWD9?
Also when the radiator broke loose the fan went into the radiator core. The fan got bent up badly and so now I am straightening it.
Did not loose any metal off the fan. However i am working hard to get everything parallel. Then to get each blade at the right angle.
It will not be perfect.
So vibration becomes an issue. The diesel runs at a low RPM compared to a gas engine.
When the tractor gets started up what would you look for or listen for to make sure I will not damage the bearings or other things over time?

The balance will be fine, the real issue is blade angle and alignment. Lay it flat on a flat surface and make sure all blades touch the surface and that the edge of the blades are all at the same distance (height) from the surface. The central drive hub should also be flat (measured) from the surface around the perimeter. Jim

there is basically no difference in rpm on the diesel or gas engine. gas is 1650 vs deisel which is 1635 BUT they might have been increased a couple hundred rpm just because for more power. i would not be reusing that fan. i now 1600 is not a lot of rpm but u redid the rad and its not worth it if a blade flys off. many mechanic's have been killed this way leaning over the rad and reving up a vehicle engine and have a blade fly off. i even have a good fan for you. i have straightened then slightly when the blades were not flat on the bench. but u said badly! so that is a big concern. and yes two studs on the bottom with springs and castle nuts.

I agree with rustred in terms of RPM being essentially the same for diesel vs gas and I would scrap that fan.

I suppose it can be straightened out.Though at the price of a rad core these days and all the work to change it is it really worth it? I would probably junk the fan and get a different one for it. Then not to mention if somebody was standing inline with it when it broke.Just food for thought.

Getting the same angle is pretty easy. All you need is a reasonably flat table or other surface, and a tape measure.

When you lay the fan down one edge of the blades will touch the table. The other will be up in the air. All you need to do is make sure that the edges up in the air are all the same distance from the table, using the tape measure.

You could also make a "gauge" out of a block of wood. Just cut the block to the right height or make a mark on the block or carve a notch in the block at the right height. There are many ways to go about it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back