larryshaw

New User
I was told you are not to use green antifreeze in engines with wet sleeves . I was told it causes pitting in the sleeves. If this is true than what is the difference between red and green antifreeze ?

I was told you are not to use green antifreeze in engines with wet sleeves . I was told it causes pitting in the sleeves. If this is true than what is the difference between red and green antifreeze ?
sleeve pitting is not caused by antifreeze colors. its caused by the diesel firing which creates shock bubbles around the sleeve. they keep eating away till you have a hole in the sleeve. to prevent this u must keep the coolant under pressure at all time is the most important thing.even under pressure they are not gone just reduced to smaller in size. plus there is an additive for the coolant or use the coolant filters. and dont know what engine u are referring to. red was used for aluminum or used to be.

Consider Using an Antifreeze that is approved for usage in an industrial Diesel Engine with wet Sleeves. Cylinder liners are often made of iron (FE).
  • When water, coolant highly diluted by water, or non-diesel grade coolant is used, it causes the liner to turn into ferric oxide, or rust
  • When the engine is running, the pistons hit the liner and cause a high frequency vibration. As the liner vibrates it moves outwards towards the coolant and then back away from it. This causes vapor bubbles to form as the liner moves away. When the liner moves outwards again, it then compresses and implodes these bubbles. The implosion will erode small holes in the liner wall. This process is called Cavitation Corrosion or Erosion.
  • The Cavitation Corrosion / Erosion can be found anywhere that coolant contacts the liner. It is usually found most heavily on the side of the liner that is contacted by the piston during the firing stroke.
  • The high cylinder pressures will keep coolant from entering the cylinder while the engine is running, and may force small amounts of oil into the coolant. When the engine is not running, the coolant pressure will force coolant into the cylinder. The coolant may sit on top of the piston, run down the cylinder wall into the oil reservoir, or both
    pitted-liner-graphic......jpg
    liner-cavitation-erosion.......jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back