any camera techys on here?

gab

Well-known Member
Wife bought me a new camera in Sept., Canon Power Shot elph 340 hs. Manual talks about transferring pict. to computer with wifi, through smart phones and on and on. Doesn't have a cord. Took it back, said I could buy a sdhc card and plug into the comp. My 8.1 Hp said this is CTG file and you need some kind of AP to open it. Goggled ctg file, google said if you googled ctg file you must have a new canon camera and can't transfer pict. Found a card reader here that my daughter had and that will transfer ok, tried to post some pict here Sunday and took forever to do one. the dimensions are 46088x3456. I never had to shrink any pict. with my old Kodak to post on this site and I can't figure out how or where to do it.
Incidentally my wife bought me this new computer a year ago also, she buys me anything else is grounds for a divorce.
 
46088x3456 is about 16 megapixels. Way higher resolution than you need for online images. (Higher resolution is good for enlarged and printed images.) You'll need some software on your PC for image compression. Here's a link to an earlier post of mine that describes how to do it with Image Magick.
Image compression with Image Magick
 
Assuming you are using Microsoft Windows. The MS-Paint application will resize pictures.
- Start up paint
- Open picture
(optionally, right click on pic and say open with Paint)
- Right at the top, in the Menu bar, there is a 'resize' option. You can resize by percent or to a certain pixel size. Play around with it with photos that ARE NOT important.

Good luck


 
Thanks guys, this camera's got way too much stuff on it to suite me so I just had it on auto and the book isn't much good although I think it recommended you go to the online manual. I found the resolution setting by just scrolling and poking ever button on it, was on the highest setting, changed it to lowest 90kb
 
When I clicked edit on the pictures the other night it went to paint but I didn't try it because I didn't want to do all the pict one at a time so said screw it and went to bed.
I finally found the resolution setting on the camera, was on highest and I set it on lowest, 90kb
 
We use a memory card with our camera when taking pictures. Then we pull the card from the camera
and plug it into the computer to down load the pictures. When the memory card is full we keep them with the stored pics. They hold a lot of pics. No cable required. Hal
 
I learned something new today. Paint, it seems to work to resize as I have had problems previously trying to post pictures.
 
Gab, How many of the pics do you post? If it is only a few, I would using a high setting and then just resize those you are going to post. You may want to take the same pic twice, once on high setting and again on low. Zoom in on both and see the difference. Just a thought.

I think that there are programs that will resize a bunch of pics at once. "IfranView" perhaps? Doing a bunch at once is called 'batch' processing, or similar.
 
I did resize the picts. I took Sunday, rt click/ click edit goes to paint, wasn't bad after the first. I don't take many picts., didn't use the camera for about 6 wks. after I got it. Down loaded the online manual Yesterday, that's got about 180 pages, seems like a lot of studying just to take a pict. of an old tractor now and then.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top