Anybody Use The Flo-Fast Fuel Container And Pump System

KCTractors

I am getting to old to be lifting 5 gallon fuel cans to fill the tractors with gas and diesel.
I am thinking about getting the Flo-Fast 15 gal pump and containers system. My question is how would you fill the 15 gal containers when you are supposed to have the containers on the ground at a Filling Station. It would be very hard for me to lift that much fuel back in the pick-up.
If I would fill them in the pick-up, the station would probably shut the pump off for me because of static electricity. Is there a way I could get around that with-out putting anybody in danger including my-self?

There are good grounding cables tht can be clearly attached toi the truck, and the chassis of the filler, including the cart and the pump steel components. The filler nozzle has a safety clamp (their words) on it already. If the filler was well strapped into the truck, and grounded, I think it would be fine, but I am not your insurance agent, nor am I the station owner. Nor a DOT/YTDOT regulator. Jim

(quoted from post at 13:52:05 04/10/21) I am getting to old to be lifting 5 gallon fuel cans to fill the tractors with gas and diesel.
I am thinking about getting the Flo-Fast 15 gal pump and containers system. My question is how would you fill the 15 gal containers when you are supposed to have the containers on the ground at a Filling Station. It would be very hard for me to lift that much fuel back in the pick-up.
If I would fill them in the pick-up, the station would probably shut the pump off for me because of static electricity. Is there a way I could get around that with-out putting anybody in danger including my-self?

Not saying it does not exist but I am not familiar with a rule about removing tanks from a truck before filling them.

I can't say anybody has ever told me not to fill a jerry can or boat tank while it was in the bed of the truck.

Would they let you fill it on the truck if it was bolted or strapped down?

I fill a 15 gallon plastic tank and a 40 gallon monel tank while they are in my pickup bed--i clamp a jumper cable from the tanks to the pickup bed and have never come across any static electricity while filling the tanks

I have seen the instructions somewhere about not filling cans in the truck due to static electricity possibly causing a spark. I carry several 5-gal and 2-1/2 gal cans to station, set them all on ground to fill, then lift them up one by one and line them up like soldiers in my pickup bed. At home, I usually transfer gas from big can to a little one then use the little one to pour into gas tank which is shoulder high. I am 82 since last month, and I do not enjoy trying to lift 5 gallons up to put in my 9N nor my Cub.
BTW, I did figure out that after I pour 2-1/2 gallons out of a 5, then only 2-1/2 remains and so then I can lift it ok!!!

Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

[b:654c4848f0]I don't ever remember having a static spark jump to anything plastic[/b:654c4848f0]

Without knowing it you just proved the point why you should never fill a container still in the car or truck and showed your knowledge of hazardous materials. It is the main reason hazardous materials are so regulated because lack of knowledge in this case can kill you.

Gasoline coming threw the rubber hose causes static electricity.
Usually it is displaced from the metal nozzle coming into contact with the metal in the car/truck fuel tank fill neck.
With a plastic can there is no path to ground so this allows the spark to jump inside the plastic container.
And when you mix gasoline fumes and just a small spark you get a BIG boom.

[b:654c4848f0]For the orginal post[/b:654c4848f0]

It is against federal law to haul gasoline in containers bigger than 8 gallons on the public roads so your question on how to fill a 15 gallon container is pretty mute.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiAz6CU9PTvAhUOCM0KHT_5CA0QFjABegQIBBAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nrcs.usda.gov%2FInternet%2FFSE_DOCUMENTS%2Fnrcs144p2_043004.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3luoqN_L4oRbNIHajQKfW7 Technically you are wrong. You can transport much more than 8 gallons, but the requirements get steeper. Also, that 5 gallon can you carry requires hazcom training and the need to carry an SDS. How many do that?
AaronSEIA

so tell me how you don't get static electricity if it sits on the ground verses sitting on
the truck. seems to me it would make absolutely no difference where it sits. Just another
hair brained idea of the over educated I think.

(quoted from post at 20:03:50 04/10/21) How is a vehicle with tires grounded anyhow?
hile not as good a conductor as silver or copper, the 'rubber' of a tire is conductive. Don't believe it, just back an elevated crane into a 14,400 volt line and see how the current finds ground! You will need a new tire following the experiment.

Harbor Freight has a battery powered pump that will pump most of a 5 gallon can of gas out in a couple of minutes, uses a couple D cell batteries. Only problem is that the hose is pretty short, but that can be remedied.

I also have trouble hoisting 5 gallon cans up to fill tractors. I have some 6 gallon OMC outboard gas tanks that I use to power my generator. Last year I bought a 12 volt fuel pump (1/4 inch line) and wired it up with battery clips to run. Just run hose into tractor tank. Would work on diesel or gas, just v e r y slow. It also due to 6 gallon tanks gets the law off your back. Many places sell outboard tanks made of plastic and fittings for different makes of motors. Stay healthy joe

(quoted from post at 21:10:04 04/10/21) With that kind of voltage and steel wire in the tires, would,nt the voltage jump from the from to the ground to the rims?
o. Look up dielectric strength of air. The wires in the tire are not in contact with the rims.

(quoted from post at 16:30:25 04/10/21) here in NY there are stickers on the gas pump saying to set the plastic tanks on the ground

Yeah, there are also stickers saying to shut off your vehicle before fueling. no one does that either. I've never seen anyone, anywhere cited for that or heard of anyone even being taken to task verbally for not following the stickers instructions. If you want to fill the tank in the vehicle, touch the nozzle of the fuel hose to the rear part of the tank, away from the opening. If there is any static electricity, that should equalize things. I can remember when every fuel delivery truck had chains hanging down dragging on the road. Not anymore. It's just not a big thing.

Do a google search for fuel pumps. I have one that fits in a 5 gal container and runs off a power supply that plugs into 110, <$100. Works
well with diesel, they warn you about the volatility of gasoline.

Bill

Your right I never just shut my semi down to fuel it as the turbo had not had time to cool down yet. So I let it run while fueling. As for fuel cans I just fill then when I am foolish and don't fill the tank from the farm tank at the house. Which I've not needed to do in a long time.

(quoted from post at 09:20:29 04/11/21) Your right I never just shut my semi down to fuel it as the turbo had not had time to cool down yet. So I let it run while fueling. As for fuel cans I just fill then when I am foolish and don't fill the tank from the farm tank at the house. Which I've not needed to do in a long time.

And then of course there is the fuel truck and propane truck that deliver bulk fuel to the farm they have to be running while transferring fuel into the farm tanks or their pumps wouldn't work.

Question for you: If you can't lift the 5 gallon containers, what makes you think you can lift the 15 gallon containers?

That's my main problem with the larger containers. Sure, the larger size is more convenient when it's full and sitting in the barn, but how do you fill it? You either have to have a forklift/loader to get the full tank out of the back of your truck, or you have to fill it on the ground out of 5 gallon cans. Either is extra hassle. You may as well figure out how to handle the 5 gallon cans and save yourself the $300. You can throw three 5 gallon cans off in 10 seconds, vs. 10 minutes messing around with getting out a machine to unload the 15 gallon thing.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back