Anyone Have A Photo Of The Rare Sherman Cylinder Head?

Screen shot from the n tractor club
Sherman Hi-Torque Head Ad.jpg

I've not seen one.
Thanks,
SHERMAN MFG. supplied many optional parts for FORD-FERGUSON, after all the brothers were partners with Ford for many years. The so-called HI-TORQUE aluminum head for the N 119 CID Flat Head 4-CYL engine was one of these. Not so rare, just was never a big seller as they didn't perform as advertised and were short-lived and soon obsolete. My late gunny buddy Farmer Dan Howe had one. He was set up to pull with his 1940 9N and put one on expecting more power. Nothing much different and he soon pulled it off and put a standard cast iron head on. He ended up selling it.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• SHERMAN HI-TORQUE ALUMINUM HEAD.jpg
    SHERMAN HI-TORQUE ALUMINUM HEAD.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 21
Looks like the Sherman had a as cast combustion chambe apposed to a machined chamber I thought an aftermarket would have. I am no flathead expert but I know engines. A jump like that in compression is going to need a carb and timing tune to see the full bennifits. Thanks for both the photos.

The area around the valves is slightly shallower and a lot wider. Could that restrict air flow?
It would restrict airflow if the engine needed it. Maybe they factored that in when they designed the tractor head. If these engine were in applications that required 3500 rpm likely Ford made one head to fit all and Sherman saw they could cut down airflow that wasn't crucial for tractor use.

Going off topic here Edelbrock made an intake manifold called SP2P with very small runners. At a glance you wouldn't think it would let the engine breath enough. However I ran one on my pickup and was very pleased with the lower torque curve and fuel mileage. Ran it for 8 years and about 140,000 cross country miles till I did an engine family swap. Maybe Sherman engineering saw similar bennifits?

Wonder how many are still around and how much $ they bring?
As mentioned, these were not very popular, didn't sell well, and soon were obsolete. Function was a dismal failure. My late, great gunny sergeant Famer Dan Howe had one on his 1940 9N for pulling and saw little, if any, improvement and ended up pulling it off and putting the old OEM cast iron one back on and selling the Sherman for $50.

Tim Daley (MI)

As mentioned, these were not very popular, didn't sell well, and soon were obsolete. Function was a dismal failure. My late, great gunny sergeant Famer Dan Howe had one on his 1940 9N for pulling and saw little, if any, improvement and ended up pulling it off and putting the old OEM cast iron one back on and selling the Sherman for $50.

Tim Daley (MI)
It'd be neat just to have one for bragging rights though.

It'd be neat just to have one for bragging rights though.
Yes and if you search ebay you will often find rare parts like that as a lot of sellers have no clue on what is what on old FORDS. Look at item description and pictures closely. An OEM cast iron head will shows signs of rust and/or paint. If an aluminum head there won't be any rust. Case in pint: I found an OEM used 9N-12250-B Cast Iron Distributor that way. Saw it listed but noted it was all rusty. HUH? These were spec'd at aluminum til '43. Cast iron was an option but didn't last very long. I blasted, cleaned, primed, and painted FORD 9N Dark Grey, then rebuilt with new parts. Got it as a paperweight with bragging rights now. The item came with the original cast iron Cam & Weights too but they were all frozen up so sheveled them. You never know what you might find.

Tim Daley (MI)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back