Anyone own the Oregon bench mount chainsaw sharpener

redtom

I would like to get a saw chain grinder. I've been using the clamp on the bar filing jig for years and every now and then take them in for a pro sharpening at the dealer. Getting them sharpened has been getting more and more pricey. I should've bought the professional grade Oregon grinder years ago. I would like one now. I see all levels of quality in the Oregon line now. Anyone have any tips on owning one? And please, I will not buy a Harbor Freight cheapo! and I don't need tips on how to file a chain either.

I have had a Northern Tool (Chinese) version of the Oregon sharpener for over 5 years now.

No, it is not an Oregon professional quality unit but I have used it hundreds of times and it has saved me a great deal of money.

Wish I had bought one 25 years ago.

Dean

I bought an Oregon maybe 15 years ago. I am happy with everything about it except the wheels that came with it.

I'm not sure if they are glazing (becoming dull) or loading (filling the pores with oily shavings) but they are not good.

I get by, but have to dress the wheel half way through ONE side of the chain. I run 20 inch chains.

Hopefully there are better wheels available than the ones they supply. Getting the bar oil cleaned from the chain with brake clean before hand seems to help somewhat.

I have had the same experience as Dean. $130-ish clone, been sharpening chains with it for years. Broke one stone accidentally, otherwise no issues and good sharp chains.

I did a lot of research in 2017 and 2018 and found a sharpener that had higher ratings than ANY of the Oregon-brand sharpeners, regardless of price. When I bought it, the price had just risen to $37.99. I figured if it was half as good as the reviews, it was still a good deal.

Now this same sharpener is sold on HomeDepot.com and Walmart.com for almost $60!

It's got a lot of plastic, but it has been a sturdy sharpener. Does a very good job.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Buffalo-Tools-ECSS-Electric-Chainsaw-Sharpener-806014/317080703

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Buffalo-Tools-ECSS-Electric-Chain-Saw-Sharpener/17253613

I bought this about 19 years ago, never had any problems with it, I just looked $139.00 on Amazon, I bought mine threw Rotary and dont remember what I paid for it, when I worked at a Stihl dealer of course they had stihl chain sharpeners, I cant see how you could go wrong with a Oregon one, do some research see if there are any reviews on the interweb,
cvphoto121916.jpg

cvphoto121917.jpg

i use a small oregon 12 volt sharpener. that thing is a hot dam. actually impressed with it. just bought a couple new stones for it for 12.00

The issue I have with my Oregon chain grinder is it isn't reversible. I'm pretty sure the high-end chain grinders can be reversed so you're always grinding against the tooth edge no matter which side of the chain you're working on. The result is inconsistent edges between the left and right hand teeth.

I have a Speed Sharp and do all my sharpening on it. I got on arboristsite.com where they showed how to wire in a reversing switch. It does make a difference. I used to take my chains in after several file sharpenings for a tune up, but thought they took way too much off. Now I control it. My grinder has a hydraulic clamp, it clamps automatically every time I bring down the sharpener to grind a tooth.

cvphoto121955.jpg

I got a Timber Tuff sharpener 150$ at fleet farm. Works great! This will take care of anything that you will need to do. Unless you do several hundred a year. The Timber Tuff company is located in Miltona Minnesota.

cant beat this cheap little china man. dont need to remove the chain. plus in the bush just walk to truck and sharpen it. 12 volt. plus the chain angles are right on the unit, just need a steady hand .

cvphoto121993.jpg

cvphoto121994.jpg

I have one similar to that made by Neilson that I bought back in the 1970's when I was a McCulloch chain saw dealer.

I don't think they're made anymore. As I recall, I paid about $75 for it at the time.

I sharpened a LOT of chains with it when I was a dealer. I can see where someone who also sells saw chains could be tempted to take more off the chain than necessary, but I never did.

I have used an Oregon sharpener for 18+ years. I love it. It keeps the angles and wear consistent between both sides. I will agree with another person that I wished the motor reversed so both sides could be sharpened identical. However I have found that it really doesn't make that much difference and it's still better that inconsistent angles that occur with various hand held sharpeners. Someone else also mentioned about not liking the grinding wheels. I have learned to always, always clean the chain before you sharpen it. I actually put them in the parts washer and brush them down. The difference it makes is extremely noticeable.
I bolted mine to a 2x6 about 30 long and then use a couple of c-clamps to clamp it to the work bench when I use it. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed.
Good luck with whichever product you decide to go with.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back