Chainsaw sharpener

Bill in IL

I bought one of those 30 dollar chainsaw sharpeners from HF as recomended by this board and used it for the first time last night. For the price I think it was worth it compared to 4 bucks a pop for chain sharpening or vs the 100 dollar plus oregon models. Even though its not faster than filing the consistiency of the angle should make it better than filing.

Now I have the question how do I know which thickness of grinding wheels to use for my chains. I have 3/8", .325 and 1/4" chains but how do I know what wheel to use for these chains?

I bought one of those bench type guides from Stihl, they make a bench type (it's gray/silver) clamps on the bar, and another model more suited to the field, also similar generic ones out there too. I use the bench type in the field, just have to clamp the saw down. That and the little $15 field kit from Stihl, after reading up and practcing, I can now accurately sharpen mine in 15 minutes or less, a good accurate consistent sharpen, always cuts well after. I've learned that I don't like dull cutters for various reasons, so I may sharpen a bit more than most but not excessive, the cutters stay in decent shape dont' need as much work I've noticed, couple of passes each cutter and on to the next one. I rotate the file and clean the filings off, the file and bar, I added a nylon brush and a small screw driver to the kit, been working great so far this MS390 Stihl

i bought one from harbor freight about 4 yrs ago for $80.00 i cant honestly say how many chains i have sharpened but its (alot) also im still on the same grinding wheel. cant complain at all RICK

Each chain is different and it's not just based on the pitch. It is also based on chipper design, brand name, etc. The better sharpeners come with a data-book giving you all the different angles and wheel sizes for all the popular chains. I have one here.

Also - the angles vary a lot. A good sharpener has three angle adjustments, whereas the cheap ones only have one. My Stihl sharpener has two angle adustments, and my Oregon sharpener has three.

Has anyone used the chainsaw sharpening attachment/gonculator for the Foley Belsaw 1055 Sharpall?
I got a bargain on a 1055 just before Christmas but it doesn't have the chainsaw attachement. Do you think they are viable and worthwhile?
Cheers to spring Don

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back