Anyone Using A Scarecrow ?

BillinCentralMO

We have pecan trees and were not much on sharing. The
crows are hitting them pretty hard. I saw one of these
wind blown tube - man Halloween yard decorations.
Looks the Michelin Man gone Halloween. Im thinking
about buying a couple to put up as scarecrows to deter
the thieving crows. Anyone ever try this before ? You
think it will help ? Me and Mr. Ithaca just cant sit out their
all day everyday.

My experience with this type of scenario is that a scarecrow or even a device that fires a shot at different intervals to scare birds away works for @ a week at best. Then the birds get used to it and return to their previous activities.

we would take cotton string about(3/16 diameter) and untwist it enough to stick a firecracker fuse it and move up and do it again would do enough to last all day..you can hang up a cotton string light it and let it smother and see how fast it goes..we would hang around in different tress and would go off about every ten minutes as the string would burn.. we still had to shoot at then every now and then..windy days would burn faster .. we had about 20 acres of trees..

I use rubber snakes to repel birds. Put them up in rafters of pole barn and on branches tree that overhang the walk. Very effective

As one poster said. A scarecrow only works for a week or so. I did what wh said for one season and then took it down. The crows still dont bother my trees for several years now. Crows are the smartest bird and can remember past events even though the evidence is long gone.

Now if only the same practice worked with squirrels I might get some pecans.

Like this thing?

cvphoto164776.gif

Should keep the crows away. Maybe some neighbors?

Mike

Sorry, can't help you. As others have said they are very smart birds, and short of the hanging a couple winged birds in a tree, I doubt there's anything that'll deter them for long.

I did see a murder of crows harass an owl one time while hunting. They chased the owl into a tree where he perched on the end of a dead branch. Blended in well, but the crows would hop about the tree and caw at him, being careful to never get too close. After 45 minutes they slowly wandered off a couple at a time. Didn't see any deer, but it still was worth the price of admission.

Thanks for all the replies. It might only need to work for a week or two. We can shoot them if the dogs are inside with the tv on. Random loud noisemakers arent an option with two excitable hunting dogs. Ill try and report back as to our success. And I am going to try the rubber snakes too.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back