are micrometers still popular and useful?

I have several that I still use from time to time, including one with a digital readout.

The machinist trade is not dying contrary to popular opinion. I am signed up for a CNC class starting in August. I will need my mics for measuring The CNC machine does not measure for you.

I have seen a number of posts on this forum where individuals where rebuilding engines without the equipment required to check clearances. It never appeared to be headed in a direction that would provide a suitable result. A good set of inexpensive mics and a bore gauge is required to ensure proper oil clearances and cylinder condition.

Back in the 1960-70 there were machine shops at most auto
stores. I would rebuild my car/truck engines.

Now all machine shops have closed.
So I have no need for micrometers.
Engines last longer.
Now when an engine needs rebuilt, I buy a new car.
When my car gets over 100K I buy a new car for
traveling/vacations and keep the old car for going to town.

(quoted from post at 03:55:14 04/19/23) Back in the 1960-70 there were machine shops at most auto
stores. I would rebuild my car/truck engines.

Now all machine shops have closed.
So I have no need for micrometers.
Engines last longer.
Now when an engine needs rebuilt, I buy a new car.
When my car gets over 100K I buy a new car for
traveling/vacations and keep the old car for going to town.
raggart! :) But I will join in.....not all are as fortunate , or have made themselves fortunate, as we are.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back