Drones, guns, and nukes

I posted the video I found online of an eagle taking down a drone last night because I've seen them talked about so much on here. It seems so many people are upset over them these days and they are getting a lot of publicity. After reading some of the responses and watching some more videos I got to pondering things again and for what it's worth...

I'm sure each one of us would like to fly a drone and can think of some great uses we would have for one. Hear a 4 wheeler trespassing in your back field? Fly one over and get indisputable evidence on camera. Does the corn need water on that track across the road? Did that storm cause the dead tree to fall taking out the fence and the cows are escaping? Who was in the pickup that just headed into your neighbors drive--aren't they out of town? If you had one before you knew it you'd find it a wonderful tool. Hey are the loggers crossing my property line? Where is that smoke I see in the distance coming from? How close if the fire--do I need to move the cows? Hey lets watch them put out the fire at the grain silo! But, I'm sure everyone is now saying yes but, I'd use it responsibly. These idiots in the news are doing stupid thing with them. I'm sure each one of us would hate to have to go take a government approved course and spend hundreds to be licensed to use something we'd see as so simple and common sense to use and can use currently w/o a license. I'm sure we'd point out that people have been flying remote controlled planes for decades too. I'm sure we'd all agree it's wrong to hover outside a neighbors window but before drones that's what people used telescopes for!--especially in the cities.

I can't help but see the parallels to the gun debate. I'm a responsible gun owner but I'm wary of my 12 pack loving neighbor who was hooting and hollowing the other day and shooting in I'm not sure what direction. I'm sure if asked he'd assert he was fully sober and handing the firearm safely, but confidentially he's not too sure he's comfortable with my shooting habits. I'd feel safe being able to protect myself with a gun in a movie theater but I'm not at all sure I feel safe knowing all those idiots in the theater with me might also have a gun on them. I've often wondered if in a shooting incident it would be smart for me to pull mine to defend myself and risk another good Samaritan thinking I was a bad guy. Frankly these days I'm not at all sure I feel safe with the police having guns. I think it's necessary at least hopefully they have been told over and over to make sure they have to shoot before they do.

As for the nukes, I've often wondered...viewing the earth as a town and countries as various family homes how do we as Americans get off saying we can have nukes but the other houses in this earths neighborhood can't? But hey us Americans know we will only use them as a last resort and they've proved to us they will use them for first strike. Do you suppose they see it the other way around?

I guess this is the enigma that is life.

Couple years ago a friend and I were discussing the drones, he is a WWII and otherwise plane nut, anyhow we both agreed we wanted one and we didn't want others to have one......

Funny, we humans......

Paul

Maybe you missed it but Regan changed the ROEs for nukes. We can go with a first strike as long as we are certain that another country is going to use them on us. He also changed who can authorize tactical nukes.

But you are correct IMO. The following are the big boys, countries that possess nuclear weapons. There may be more but these are known.

United States

Russia (former Soviet Union)

United Kingdom

France

China

India

Pakistan

North Korea

Israel

You can't be a big boy unless you also have those big boy toys. So basically every country wants to be part of the club. Yet we constantly try to stop other countries from getting those weapons. And eventually they will get them.

Rick

I don't quite know how to word it so I don't gat a vacation,but the whole problem is that responsible people get in way too much trouble if they try to take care of problem people who aren't so responsible.

That's dead right. Its a cross between a slight control issue and the uncertainty of what the other guy is doing. Kind of like driving down the road, I know what I'm doing but I sure don't trust the other guy lol.

I am thinking along the lines of having/making a predator drone that would take the other drones out of the sky if directed to do so.

I dont understand the apparently ignorant hatred of drones. What are you trying to hide? Stay away from the sheep!
Why should a drone not be allowed to do what a helicopter or light aircraft can?
As a fan of rusty iron, history, geology and topography, I would love to have an expensive, quality drone with a camera and would take an extreme dislike to, and bring the wrath of the law down upon anyone who would shoot at my property while I was using it lawfully.

Have any of you seen a herd of cattle spooked by one of the dam things. Sure I'd like to have 1 to play with but as you all know there are too many idiots out there that cannot responsibly raise a kid let along be in control of a drone.

My son in law has flown his over mine several times. He even crashed it in the pasture last time he had it here. They didn't even seem to notice.
a198244.jpg

Ignorant, I don't think so. The problem is the people using them and some choose to use them in unlawful or unethical ways. I just read an online article close to a week before your post which indicated some guy was trying to get pics of a mostly undressed 14 year old girl. In the user comment section some guy very seriously suggested he was going to drop a Molotov cocktail on his neighbor's home with a drone. Again, nothing wrong with the machine itself but too many people would misuse them. Man's technology is growing faster than his common sense unfortunately.

A lot of the problems that exist today stem from the fact that, no matter if something is invented or developed for the good of all, some devious mind is going to use it for personal gain or to cause trouble. This is the way it is and has been for untold centuries. As I have thought and have heard others say, if those with criminal minds could be changed to do good, the world would be a better place overnight.

I think they can do what they want with their drones as long as they are on their own property. Once they leave and go on private property and fly below 500 feet they can get into trouble. Not saying I would shoot at one spying on me but I am not saying I will not shoot either. It all comes to respect for other people and their property.

Blaming the machine instead of the operator is just plain wrong. While perverts should be arrested or worse, the machine provides evidence. Most of us cannot shoot someone for trespassing, and likewise cannot destroy their vehicle or personal property.

While I worked on a customers car yesterday he played with his drone... I want one :lol: I spec I would get tired of it maybe I should just tell'em to throw his drown in the trunk when I work on his car...

Drones I think could have a good purpose like you mentioned. But there will always be someone doing something stupid with them. About the movie theater. Ill never go to another one. But I do hope anyone that goes is armed and can defend themselves if need be which is really sad. And the nukes. I understand what you were saying. Why can we and not others have them.. personally I think we have to , consider the united states is one of the super power countries. We have to keep others in check. If not I think the the countries that act like animals (and we know who they are) would be building them left and right and sending them our way. The fact is some folks just dont like us. I guess being civil has its disadvantages. I would much rather take the fight to them other than them coming here.. and I also think the reason they dont want to come here is because they know the most of us in the united states are armed.

Sad but true. Seems like the law works better for a criminal than a honest working man. The odds are already against us just for working to try to make a honest living.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back