At A Loss With Split Rims...

Bryce Frazier

I've been aggressively hunting for about a week trying to find wheels for my truck, and am getting absolutely no where.

I can't find anything 20 inch with a lock ring in my bolt pattern, and I can't find anything 22.5 that isn't a budd wheel. I've asked 3 local tire stores, and finally LesSchwabs, and their "only solution" was $1200 worth of ADAPTERS to get me to 22.5 budd wheel bolt patterns. THEN I have to buy wheels and tires all over again!

So, I looked at the spare that came with the truck, and to my surprise, it is actually different than what is on the truck! It IS in fact a lock ring style wheel, not a split rim! So, they DO exist!

I took a wire brush to it, and I came up with Firestone Accu-Ride "27098" But the number gets me no where with a google search. Not even used wheels for sale somewhere.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?? :/

I'm sure you already did, but post a pic of your wheels. There is a salvage yard close to me that has a bunch of trucks junked, they may have something that will work for you. You post a pic and I'll try to get there Sunday and look.

I, personally, would be calling around to truck salvage guys. those guys know there stuff. if something interchanges; they will know. most tire jockey's in a tire shop don't work with anything like this!

Budd rim as in how many lug bolt holes?? I almost bet I have some in your size. One common type is the Dayton rims which I also have a lot of laying around. Years ago I switch over my Diamond-T to 22.5 Dayton rims.

Split trim and lock ring rims are nothing to be messing with unless you know what your doing because one can easily loose ones head if you do something wrong

Im thinkin Bryce has C60 chevy witch has small stud 10 bolt Firestone RH 5 ? wheels. There not Budd and not really hub pilot.

Bryce you need to be calling the truck salvage yards. They will more than likely be where you will find the rims you need. Remember tires shops and rim manufactures sell things they can sell more of. So your style/bolt pattern of rims is too old to have much market share. LOL Maybe zero. LOL Talk to some heavy truck mechanics in your area and find out where/who the heavy truck salvage yards are.

Hello Bryce, what are you looking for rims for? I see someone mention C60, I likely have some of those around. Let me know for sure what you are looking for and I will check my inventory.

I have 4 rims with good tires off of a C50, they're 8.25 - 20 . If that's what you need , you can have them . You will have to come and get them though.

I wonder what the chances are that a later hub and bearings would fit on your spindles ? Then you might end up with disk brakes too.

I've got 4 rims and good drive tires that came off of a 1976 Ford 2 ton I need to get rid of. They will fit a single axle Chevy dump truck to that I know of around that year. I bought the truck to fix up but found out to fix the brakes cost more than a running truck and I scraped it. The guy I got it from son had the dump truck and used the same spare.

Yes, that's got to be correct. I have a 1970 C 50 chevy, 10 bolt on 8.75 pattern. Uses the lug nuts with the built in washer.

Have a gander if you wouldn't mind. I need the 10 bolt, 8.75 pattern. NOT budd lugs, just plain 3/4" studs.

I am mostly looking for lock ring wheels, in 20". I am not afraid of them if they are in good shape.

Here they are, brand new pricing tho:
https://a1truckwheels.com/product/28160/
mvphoto18619.jpg

mvphoto18620.jpg

Craig's list and eBay.

I got a slow leaker as I mentioned in past posts, and in a week of research I found a single in SD, wife and I drove out got it on a rainy day. Wife really enjoyed seeing the Corn Palace and some parts of SD north of there her family used to visit.

The next spring before field work I found a guy in central Iowa that had building and building full of military stuff, he had like new rims with 90% military tires on them, a whole building full. Wife and I drove down before spring work. Funny story, this was before my iPad, I don't have a cell phone to this day. We had printed maps, we were an hour early so we stopped at a big farm fleet store about a 1/2 hour away, opened the pickup doors, and the 25mph winds that day blew the maps out of the pickup, they were scattering across the parking lot. Big old me on my farmer boots was running the 100 (several 100....) yard dash to try to catch them, they were heading for a busy interstate and piles of garbage blowing around, I'd never find them.....

Wife hopped in the pickup and caught up to me the other side of the parking lot, I was sitting on a curb wheezing so much I couldn't talk, I just held up the 3 papers in my hand. She felt so bad for me she bought me a shake. We still joke about the security tape that is being played at that store, "See look at the out of shape Minnesotan sprinting through the parking lot in leather work boots....."

Anyhow Neither seller cared about the rims, same with other sellers I found; you have to scope it out and follow up and see what you find. With litch a picture will catch the rim pattern.

This isn't a buy new down at the tire store and deliver in 3 days deal for the old stuff. I figured that out when I went to my good tire dealer coop, and he did 5 minutes of that kind of research and kinda shrugged his shoulders, said well there is a set in Florida....

It's a treasure hunt, and will end up costing $60 a piece, a little travel, and maybe a fun story to tell your friends.

Paul

Hey Bryce, I have three here that seem to fit the description. You could have them but shipping from NY may be prohibitive. There may be a couple more where these came from.
a271259.jpg

That is the old Dayton lock ring wheel. Bee very careful I had 2 of those blow apart in the 22+ years I owned my tire shop. Both here in the cage when they blew. They have a 3 piece lock rim that is far safer than that. Most truck salvage yards will have them or can get them.

Yep, that's what I'm after, identical to the one good one I have!

Let me hunt around a little more, but you might be hearing from me..... Thank you!!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back