Auction Followup - Bought a Tractor...

Ed S.

Short version: I bought a tractor!

Long version: Several more tractors had shown up by the day of the sale, including a "ridden hard and put up wet" 4000 with a loader:

IMG_0762.jpg

I gave it a close look and decided it was too beat up to mess with.

There were two other Fords in the lineup, but neither had a loader or the required HP:

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

I had decided before I went that I didn't have to drive out with anything, and would just observe and see what prices were like.

When a JD 4010 (LP) sold for $3200, I perked up a bit, as that's quite a bit lower than I would have thought for that size class, and in green, no less.

The AC 185 I mentioned sold in the mid $3000 range as well, and while walking down a row, I noticed another very clean AC 190 that I had missed in my earlier-morning wanderings. It was remarkably straight, and had been repainted, but not that recently, and had about 3600 hours on the meter. The more I looked, the more I liked, and when the bidding stopped at $4600, it was mine.

IMG_0773.jpg

It took a bit over three hours to road it home, including a stop at Farm King to buy a SMV and battery operated flasher so I would be legal. I found out pretty quickly that it burns oil, and had noticed one of the loader lift arm cylinder seals leaks, so it's basically a tired, but nice-looking tractor. As I won't run a lot of hours on it, I'll just keep adding oil for now.

I already put it to work today, taking out two of four aged peach trees that the wife wanted removed (we planted new ones last year). The 8N got in on the work, too, filling in the holes with the back blade.

IMG_0781.jpg

Given that I got a bigger tractor than what I thought I could afford, for less than I planned to spend, I'm pretty happy so far.

I also bid on the M-F haybine, but didn't win that one. Haybines were going pretty cheap - beat-up off brand ones were selling at $375-450 (the MF went for $850), and a nice NH 489 went for $2100.

I kind of kicked myself for not bidding higher on the MF, but when I got home, my wife told me she had mentioned I was looking at haybines to our elderly neighbor, and he said since he's no longer doing hay, he'd sell me his Hesston self-propelled haybine very cheap (I used it a couple years ago and it ran fine then). So maybe that will work out well, too.

haybine.jpg

Thanks again for everyone's input.

es

Congratulations!
That is a lot of tractor.
One great thing about this site is the archives.
I just spent a half hour reading about 190s on the AC board.
A guy could/should spend a day or two there.
AC 190

Now you did it. You do relize you now have to hang out on the Allis board as well. Right?

Early Ford 4000 and AC D-19

Congrats on the 190! A friend of mine has a 190, and has baled with it for many years. Just remember whatever happens in the future, you bought it right! You would probably come close scrapping it for what you paid, so any use out of it at all is a plus. That's how I view my farm purchases anyway.

-Horsepoor

I know for sure it has 3pt., Dave. Not familiar with the snap couple hitch, so not sure on that. Still learning about this tractor, ordered manuals from this site over the weekend...

es

It's been more like Georgia than Central Illinois for late March, not that I'm complaining! We're easily about a month early - sure hope a late frost doesn't nip everything that's blooming out.

es

Ed, thanks for the report! I've been looking around to see what tractors with loaders are going for so I know what I have to save once the car is paid off. Looks like you did well. I always liked the ACs. We had a WD back on the farm and a neighbor had a sweet D-17 Series 2 and a WD-45 (and a Ford of the 100 series, I think it might have been a 600).

Ed....enjoyed the followup on your tractor search.
Congrats on finding your AC. I don't know anything
about the AC's, so I hope you will keep posting here
on it as well as the 8N.

Jeff

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back