Austin Western Pacer 300

Happy Sunday folks I have an Austin Western Pacer 300 motor grader and was wondering if anyone knew what years they were made and if I could figure out the year mine was made. I think this is the right place to ask.Any help would be greatly appreciated

''100'' series graders (100-500) came out in 1959, and lasted until the late 1960's(?). Clark Equipment bought Austin Western in 1971, and unfortunately, probably dumped all their production records in the trash.

Your single drive 4x4 grader weighs 22,000 lbs. although it doesnt specify if that is with the available Detroit Diesel or Cummins engine according to ''The Earthmover Encyclopedia'' by Keith Haddock.

You could try asking over at the HCEA (Historical Construction Equipment Assoc.) website, but its pretty much a dead site without any traffic.

Scratch that ''22,000 lbs.'', thats for a smaller ''200'' grader. A ''300'' tips the scales at 25,000 lbs.

I was going to post this earlier but had to eat. Now I
see DWF chimes in with the suggestion of the Heavy
Equipment Forum. Here is a link to a post I searched
there, I tried to click the picture to enlarge it but you
have to be signed in for that. That forum is laid out a
bit different than YT. If you do go over there and
register and have trouble figuring it out reply back here
or better email me and I will help you figure it out if
needed. My dad ran the township road grader for most
of his life. The 1st machine he ran in the early 60s was
an A. W. I am not sure of what models it was I will place
a link to a salvage machine that looks how I remember
his all though I was quite young when he had it. I
remember talk about the rear steer and also the 6
wheel drive which was quite a useful option when
bucking through drifted closed roads with the front
snow plow. I remember the greasy floor board with a
bump in the center all the paint wore off. You also
knew when dad was home at the end of the day. Our
200 ft driveway had a slight incline. He would back in
that Detroit screaming, no missing that!
HE Forums

Looks like the one Dad ran

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction much appreciated, Ill go check out some of the other sites if I have any issues Ill report back

I had one in the late 80's.It was a 4 wheel machine,and you could crab it in all directions to adapt to most any job.Mine had the International start on gas/run on diesel engine.My wifes family still has one like mine,but theirs is Detroit powered.I sold mine to a guy that was the road agent of a small town.He used it for 30-40 hours a year,and kept it after he retired.Every time I drive by it is parked in a different spot,so I guess it is still getting some use.I have no idea what model it was,but I don't believe it was all that heavy.

Your best bet may be identifying what engine you have and dating that by whatever serial numbers may be stamped on the block. That will narrow it down to one or two years- as long as it is the original powerplant!

I have an AW 300 Pacer. The 'Super' is a pacer with the extra set of rear wheels. Years of prod are about 1958 to 1969 when AW began economic trouble. Engines for all Pacer were a DD 3-71 or 4-71 as an option, all Supers had a 4-71.

Very early Pacer has a T bone steering system with hyd rams to go left and right. Rear steering up to 26deg was handled with a hyd lever in or near the center of the stack. I think the steering was changed to a wheel and rack around 61 or 62, I have the T bone hyd and mine is a 1961. The 3-71 is not really enough power to move much dirt around, so a lot of Pacer incl mine have the 4-71. It it's a Cummins, that is a branded AW but sold by Clark, I think they had a bunch of the frames made up and just sold the newer units branded AW but with the Cummins eng. Don't quote on that though.

Buy a good set of ear muffs if you have a DD 4-71 and wear them all the time or your ears will ring for hours after grading.

Edit; I just found this video of a 58 with T bone steer, and DD 4-71, very similar to what I have. I don't think many 3-71s were sold, just too underpowered for the big blade, and also the std ripper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyeoXe-0HL4

This post was edited by docmirror on 02/13/2023 at 03:14 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back